Materialism

Chapter 1: Materialism

"Nick! Charlie! Harry! Freddy! Breakfast is ready!" I hear my mother shout through the floor boards of the second story.

Then there was a chorus of rushed movements from around the house. Before you could say "Stop running in the house," there were four children pushing and shoving their way into the dining room for their share of food.

"Stop standing on my feet Nick!"

"Ow, Freddy. I have a bruise there from yesterday."

"Mum! Harry is trying to trip me!"

"Charlie, you are going to rip my uniform."

Yep, this is what it is like every morning in the Jones' household.

Allow me to introduce myself, I am Charlotte Jones but I will cut your throat if you call me that. Charlie, you can call me Charlie. I am the second oldest child out of four. We are a rich family but I don't suffer from stuck up selfish bitch syndrome. I am actually the exact opposite, despite my mother's best efforts.

I fork a few more pancakes then my mother advices onto my plate, then drown them in maple syrup straight from Canada itself.

"Charlotte, honey, you have to watch what you put on your plate," My mother suggests. Daggers are shot at her direction. Not literally of course. Oh, how I wish they were.

So to annoy her further, I shove the entire pancake into my mouth. The entire thing. I watched her eye the maple syrup drip from my chin onto my black pyjamas.

"Honey, you have a little something on your..."

"I know mum, is it annoying you?" I spit. I watch her face twitch when I try to reach the stickiness with my tongue. When I realised that I couldn't actually reach it, I grabbed my napkin from table to wipe it way.

My mother was pleased with this as her annoyance was replaced with satisfaction.

"I am taking you shopping for some dresses today, sweetie," she tells me.

Not again.

"Why?" I whine.

"Because all the ones you own are black," she states.

"Do you have a problem with that?" I drop my fork onto my plate and putting my elbows on the table.

"Yes, hence why I am taking you shopping." She reaches across Harry to push my elbows off. I lean back into my chair and cross my arms over my chest.

"What is the point? I am not going to wear them," I argue.

"I will not have you wearing dark clothing every time we go out as a family. I am quite happy for you to walk around the house in black. But not out on the street."

"I still don't see the point. Do I want them? No. Do I need them? No."

"Yes," She corrects me for her own benefit.

This ladies and gentlemen is materialism. My mother suffers from this. She buys things we don't need to impress people we don't like with money that should be stored away for my University fund or Nick's new car.

"It is settled. We will leave once you have showered and dressed." And she put her foot down. No use in trying to change her mind it will just be a waste of breath that I could be using to revive myself from all the heavy bags.

"So boys, what are you doing today?" Subtle change of subject.

"Actually I have to go," Nick says as he checks the golden watch on his wrist, "I have a lecture this morning." He excuses himself from the table.

"I have a soccer game, this morning. I was planning to ride over to the fields," said Harry.

"And what about you Freddy?"

"I was wondering if you could drop me at the pool on your way to the mall; I have training."

"Settled. I will get your father to pick you up after he has finished work. Honey, do you want to start getting ready? You are going to need as much time as you need being the state of your hair this morning. I am not even going to start on your legs."

I slam my hands on the table and push the chair back, making a horrid noise which makes everyone reach for their ears in protest. "Fine," I spit with venom as I stormed out of the room.