Chapter Four

I flew out of bed the next morning, eagerly awaiting my next meeting with my new friend, Jesse. Grabbing a bagel and a new sweatshirt,-courtesy of my new friend- I dashed out the front door, past Twin Tree Cafe, and straight to the apple orchard again. I plucked a few apples from the trees as I walked, and grinning from ear to ear, climbed up to my usual perch, and waited. The view was simply gorgeous this morning, as the sun pulled itself high into the sky, striping the sky with intricate patterns of blue, pink, orange, and even purple. Clouds shifted into their respective positions for the day, and a cool breeze tugged at my hair insistently. It was cold this morning, and I pulled my sleeves down over my hands to keep them warm. I cursed myself for skipping coffee, and was about to climb back down when I heard a voice say,

"Going somewhere?" I turned, and smiled, teeth showing, as I heard a familiar scratching noise.

"Good morning to you too, Jesse." I bit a sizable chunk out of my scarlet apple, then swallowing, continued,

"How are you on this gorgeous morning?"

I'm doing very well, thank you. And you?"

"I'm doing great! Although it is a little cold..." I stared at the clouds wistfully, waiting for some miraculous sunny weather to appear. Instead, I felt a sudden warmth in my hands, and looking down, saw a nice cup of coffee residing in my covered palms. Taking a sip, I shuddered as the warmth traveled through out my body, then set it in my lap.

"Thank you, for the drink. Very good, of course. How'd you know what my favorite drink was?" I stared down at my cup, which had cooled by now, inquisitively, then squinted at the clouds, waiting for an answer.

"Well, I did notice what you brought yesterday, and figured you'd get it again. I'll admit, I'm kind of surprised you didn't get it today."

"Well, I figured I'd come talk to you instead... I can get coffee anywhere, even from you apparently!" I chuckled as Jesse replied,

"Hey hey now, don't get too comfy! I don't just give out coffee to just anybody...only special friends of mine." I blushed, not really knowing why, then coughed loudly.

"Oh, well, um, thank you." I squeaked out, and was rewarded by a few thunder rumbles, which I interpreted as chuckling.

"So, what do you like to drink? Coffee? Tea?" I sat back, regaining fragments of my dignity.

"Oh, I like pretty much anything. Anything in a cup that is."

"So you'd drink hot sauce? Expired milk? Old, moldy ma-"

"No, no, you know what I mean! I like coffee, tea, soda; any official beverage! Not the crazy drinks you come up with..." I laughed, harder than I ever remembered before, and soon my whole body was rumbling with laughter, and the booming clouds above told me I wasn't alone.

We sat, laughing and talking for hours about everything, from beverages to video games, roller coasters to favorite past times. I soon found out that while we had our differences, we also shared many similar hobbies. We both liked to read, draw, and play video games, but I liked dogs more than cats. Jesse liked board games over video games, but I was the opposite. We also joked about life, the weather, and even each other. And every time I ran out of apples or drinks, Jesse always made sure I got plenty. We spent the whole day together, eating and chatting, and by the time the sun set again, I felt myself grow sadder and sadder. I kept pushing off the thought of leaving, and it wasn't until the sun set that I was finally convinced to go home.

"C'mon Sam, you have to go to sleep! You can't stay up all night, you know!" Jesse spoke playfully and kindly and I nodded glumly.

"Ok... Can we talk again tomorrow?" I perked up at this, eager for an answer.

"Of course! We can always talk, just come here and I'll meet you. Oh, and don't worry; I'll bring the coffee from now on. " I saw one last beam of light, and beamed.

"Good night, Sam."

"Good night, Jesse. Talk to you tomorrow." I looked at the sky one last time, the stars twinkling brightly down at me, and climbed down from my tree. 

•••Author's Note•••

Hey guys! Um, I don't have much to report right now, but I hope you guys are enjoying the story so far, and don't forget to comment below!