Chapter Six

It was so embarrassing to be scolded by a woman for the first time of my life.

I followed what she told me.

I stood up from the chair and forced myself to walk to the refrigerator.

It was dusty and some edges of it were also rusty.

I opened it and surprisingly, there were still foods inside.

Several of it was still packed. Canned goods, packed fruits –some were rotten, soft drinks, sodas, junk foods, and on the freezer there were packed meats.

I took 2 packs of chocolate chips, and 3 packs of potato fries and a can of Pepsi.

I was so happy to have them and I opened them right away masticating all of it.

Then a can of easy-open can Pepsi filled in my thirst. 

I wasn’t sure if those filled in my stomach but, it was better than nothing.

I couldn’t cook after all and who would have been cooking in a place like this to begin with?

After the snack, I decided to go back to my bed and wait for her there.

I didn’t have a chance to ask her name so I would just ask her there once she finished up bathing, I thought.

”Gyaaaaaaaaa!” there was a sudden scream coming from the bathroom.

I was jolted and I hurried to the bathroom from where the scream was coming.

Without thinking, I turned the door knob and opened it. 

It wasn’t locked and it opened.

She was still screaming as I entered the bathroom and there she was aimlessly shoving her clean t-shirt to a cockroach.

”Get away from me, get away you filthy!”

She looked like a stupid cry baby.

The cockroach passed under me and I stomped it.

I took the scattered clothes lying on the ground afterwards.

“Th-thanks.” She said while fidgeting.

She looked cuter when she blushed that time.

I tossed to her the clothes I picked up.

”Don’t thank me. More importantly, hurry up and get dressed. I am seeing your ti… you know?”

”Then get out!”

She threw a steel brush at me angrily and kicked me out.

”Ouch.” I moaned while lying on the ground.

”I was just jok-“

”Shut up, or I’ll kill you!”

”She is really angry. Man, and I even saved her.” I mumbled.

I went back to my bed and waited for her there.

Not long after, while sitting I once again fell asleep.

I heard a popping of crispy fried meat.

I could smell a freshly cooked fried chicken and a mouth craving smell of newly cooked corned beef.

It didn’t let me go to the kitchen and see who was cooking; she herself came to my room holding a plate of food.

”I cooked the available goods from the ref.” she said then handed me a plate full of newly cooked corned beef and a pork chop.

She sat down on a wooden chair a few inch away beside my bed.

I was staring at the food mystified.

”Oh, don’t worry. I assure you those aren’t expired yet. There is also oil on the cabinets below the cooking area and I used the water from the bathroom to clean the utensils so that’s poison free.” She said in a light voice.

”The way you say it makes me more worried thou.” I mumbled.

”What?”

”Ah no. I mean, you’re not angry?”

”I am.” She replied.

”Thought so-“

”But, you saved me so, this is an offering for compensation.” She said.

”Ah, no. I just-“

”Thanks” she said smiling.

It was more like it. Seeing a cute stranger smiling at you made it more relieving not to worry.

”Right.” I mumbled smiling then started eating.

”By the way, do you know what time is it now?” I asked her while munching the food using my hand.

I wasn’t really worried about eating the food bare handed since she herself did it.

”Around 5 or so. Why?” she asked.

”Nah, nothing.” I replied.

That wasn’t really what I wanted to ask.

I wanted to ask her about the earthquake, if she was the man, why did she save me, her name, and many more.

But, it was so awkward to ask it now. So, I wanted her to start explaining herself after opening up a conversation.

But, she looked not interested.

I was unintentionally staring at her.

”What? Hey now. If you have something to say then spit it out! You’re making me feel uneasy.” She said irritated.

”Are you dumb or something? Of course I wanted to ask you why you saved me!” I snapped out.

She flustered out and looked embarrassed.

Her expression was like she was going to hit me so I gestured a dodging on a whim.

But she became silent.

”Yeah sorry.” she bowed her head looking so depressed then continued eating.

”No, I mean, I didn’t mean to-“

”I have to guard you.” She started.

”Pardon?” I asked.

”Lord Hendricks asked me to. Your dad.”