Chapter Four

Chapter 4

He grabbed my body and put me over his right shoulder. He dashed going back inside that  quarantined place I've gone to earlier. He was carrying me like I weigh nothing. 

How did he able to do it? He must be weak and hungry was what I thought. But, surely, he looked as fine as a healthy doctor just by touching his shoulders while carrying me.

I wanted to ask him "what's happening?" and "why are you helping me?".

But the words seemed not to speak out of my mouth. I was half consciously considering on how to ask him what I wanted. And when I was about to shut my eyes out, he said something in a strange voice.

"Hang on, we are almost there." he said panting a little.

His voice was light, it was gay. It didn't sound like a man, and it was completely different from a man's deep bass voice. 

I finally gathered all my strength and effort to ask him about him, but I was too late.

I was completely unconscious before I had the chance to.

…..

I blinked my eyes.

I blinked again a few more times trying to take a clear picture of the place.

”Oh, I’m alive.” I mumbled to myself softly.

I was lying down to something soft. I moved my hand under my back and touched it. 

Pillows. I was lying down to a bed with pillows on my back.

”Where am I now?” I asked thinking like there would be someone near me to answer.

But no one did. I turned my head left and right. I scrutinized the place deeply.

I was on an abandoned apartment. No, it was one of the ruined houses I saw inside the quarantined area.

”Quarantined area.” I spoke still mystified.

”That means, I am back inside it!” I slowly panicked.

I dragged my body up a little to make it lean on the wall. I lift up my head and looked around.

No one was around. The apartment was really wrecked. The windows beside the front door were patched by dirty stitched leathers and banners. The door had few little holes in it – which seemed came from bullets. The floor was dusty all over and a mess of old papers and dirty plastics swarmed the place. There was a door on the wall beside my bed.  There was also an open doorway to my right a few meters away. I thought it was the kitchen.

I moved my limbs and stepped my foot on the floor. 

”Ouch!” I squirmed.

My foot hurt like it was badly swollen. Not just my foot and limbs but my entire body. The tension and pressure from all the events happened earlier, last night , and yesterday resulted it all. 

”Earlier…” I mumbled reminiscing the events once again in my mind.

Quarantined area, a strange plate with a name and number, the earthquake, and that mysterious man who sounded like a girl. All of them rang back to my ears.

I wanted to forget them all. I wanted to not think nor see any of them again. I wanted to shout, I wanted to go back from when my dad didn’t leave me yet. I wanted to scream, I wanted to defy God!

I was about to snap out that time when I heard a noise of fallen utensils coming from the kitchen. That at least made me paused for a while and cooled off my head. I forced my stinging  legs to stand up and go to the kitchen. I barely made it to stand up at my stance but I was able to do it anyhow by the support of the concrete wall behind me which I was holding on to. Whilst walking right to the doorway, a gust of wind blew the leather of the windows making it wave back and forth. I saw a little dull ray of light making its way inside the windows. The atmosphere outside was about the same from the time when I went inside the quarantined area and now as well.

How long was I out? I wondered. I didn’t let all those questions hold me up and I went straight to the kitchen.

My feet hurt more making it harder to walk as I continued walking. When I was near to the entrance, I wasn’t able to keep up standing even if I was holding on to the wall and I threw myself straight inside the kitchen. It wasn’t a hard throw I made so my body didn’t drop hard and heavy. My arms were on the dusty platform as well as my whole body. I pulled my feet against my body trying to stand up in balance. My arms were also on the ground pushing my body to help me stand back. And when I was finally on my knees panting, I raised my head to examine the area.

I turned my sight on the right side and there I found a girl.