Chapter Three

"Quarantined? Wh-what does this mean?" 

I was struck by fear thinking that I might just had gone into some place I shouldn't have gone to.

I remembered. The graffitis, they were not just simple graffitis made to defy the corrupt people. They were graffitis of fear and seeking for help. The vandalizms. They were not really in red paints. Maybe... They were written in blood. The whole ruins. Maybe it wasn't the storm who made it. Maybe, it was made by something more fearful. Maybe by someone who absolutely ruled this city.

"What happened here?"

"Outbreak of viral disease?"

"Uprising of anti-government organizations?"

I was hoarsely mumbling those words asking myself.

A person was curling at the right edge of the courtyard. He looked like a man looking so shabby wearing that old dirty black cloak, the hood covering his head.

The shabby man wasn't there when I was headed here, I thought.

Or maybe, I just didn’t notice him since I was preoccupied tracking for food.

He looked so strange and hideously mysterious.

He was stagnant as thou he didn't care for any single thing of this world laying beside him. 

"Maybe, maybe... He knew something." I gulped.

"But, how would a carefree and even dying shabby man know something as a quarantined place?"

I thought.

"Maybe, he is also as hungry as me but cant move anyhow because he's completely lost his grip of survival. And if he really knew something, then, a food for him might be able to make me bribe him for details." I said to myself clenching my fist.

I was dumb to think of things like that. How could I even think of bribing him with a food if I couldn’t even get to find myself to eat, if me myself was also starving and could be dying after an hour or so. And, was he really after for food?

"Dying." my eyes were wide open staring at him.

"Maybe, these are all just a hallucination. No, maybe, all are just delusions." I was frantic.

"Ha ha ha!" 

I was laughing frantically like I already lost it - control.

I was kneeling on the ground the next time I realized it.

My head was spinning. My whole body had completely gone numb and I almost couldn't lift a finger.

My heart was beating so fast and my stomach had been out of grumbling.

"Maybe... this is dying. Isn't this dying dad?" the thought of dying had made me gone distraught.

"It's all over now. I won't be ever seeing you again dad." I was about to fall down with my face smiling when a sudden quake of the ground shook me up.

"Ugh- earth-qu-ake?" I fell on the ground and the ground was shaking.

It felt like the spot I was lying down was splitting.

I wasn't wrong. The ground was splitting.

My eyes were widening out of shock and I wanted to move aside to dodge the splitting ground but I couldn't. My body wouldn’t move.

"No matter how you look at it, this is really futile." I gave up.

"sigh- I'll be dying anyways so why resist?" I told myself closing my eyes.

"But still. Death is really a sadist occurrence isn't it?"

The ground started to split at the main entrance of the courtyard going to my spot. And I was really at the exact spot of where It would open up. 

"The man!" I suddenly remembered.

I fought the numbness of my body, making it raise a little, enough for my neck to turn down and make a quick glimpse at him.

He was out of sight.

"Yeah. Of course he already ran away saving his own life. How silly." I thought to myself smiling.

I put my body back down stiff and waited for the end.

I felt annoyed for being left alone by him yet I also felt happy that he as able to get away from the place.

The sound of the splitting ground was approaching faster as my death became also faster.

It felt like the cracking sound of the splitting ground was on my feet ready to swallow me up when someone suddenly jumped over and grabbed my body.

It was the man.