Chapter 16

Alice grunted as she threw herself at another branch of a tree. Every time she managed to stay on felt like a miracle. Ace had suggested they travel through the trees since the branches were so close to each other. Alice stuck her arms out to keep her balance as she slowly walked across the top of thick branch. The branch crackled, Alice bit her lip and prayed she didn't fall to her death. She hugged the trunk of the tree once she made it to the other side.

"I feel like I'm in a video game" she said as Ace silently landed on a branch above her.

"I know the wolves are very enticing. Don't worry, just a little bit further and they'll stop following us."

"How do you know?"

"Because, we are nearing the mountains" he replied, a chill wind blew. Alice resisted the urge to shiver

"What dangers await us there?"

Ace climbed down from the tree and walked a few steps.

"Alice, we have stop here it'll be morning soon." Alice gulped

"And what happens once it becomes morning?" she asked. Ace pulled off his backpack

"Don't worry I'm going to get outta here, when night returns ring this bell. Not too much you don't want to attract anything." He handed her a small silver bell, she gripped it in her hand and frowned.

"I brought this for you to sleep on" he said pulling out a rolled up foam pad. He pulled out a couple of gray blankets. "It's not much but it'll have to do" Alice pulled the blanket up to her face, it smelt like Ace. She dropped herself on the foam as soon as Ace rolled it out.

All her adrenaline was gone leaving her exhausted, scared and in pain. The pain in her leg seemed to be nothing compared to her new wound. She looked at the bandages and was tempted to look under them. Ace lowered her arm,

"I'm leaving now" he told her. He looked just as exhausted as she was which made her think about his injury. As if he knew what she was thinking he made a shh sound.

"Rest Alice" She stared into his green eyes still bright as ever even in his current state. She put a hand on his cheek, he leaned in. A bit of worry clouded his eyes

"I'll be back" he said almost as if he was telling himself that. He pulled Alice in and kissed her cheek, "I'll be back" he repeated before covering Alice's blanket with leaves. "I'll be back."