Chapter 8

Alice awoke to the rocking of the train, she stretched and climbed out. It was Saturday which meant she had to go to her police station job first thing. She arrived to the paper being shoved in her face.

"More gang related deaths" her boss said. He paced around the room "The thing is nobody saw anything! Are you f***king kidding me! Four bodies in this hotel and nobody saw anything!" He yelled. Alice stared at him

"And what do you want me to do?" she asked, the boss let out a sigh

"Nothing, I just thought, hah never mind." Alice stared at him until he became uncomfortable, "Just do your job!" he commanded. Alice nodded and quickly headed to her desk trying to contain her smile. I'll never be caught she thought with a grin. She pulled on her headset when she heard a couple officers talking.

"I swear I don't even have to do my job anymore" on said,

"I know, the main suspect always gets murdered or is caught by someone" he said pausing. They both were silent for a moment.

"Well I hope no one kills our next target Kennedy Richards." Alice answered an inbound call, the conversation was clearly staged. They knew she was listening. Alice tapped her finger on the desk while she soothed a frightened woman on the other end. What bait did they want me to take? She wondered. Am I suspicious? Questions plagued her mind her whole shift.

Alice became so buried in her thoughts from work that she didn't notice the figure shadowing her steps to bakery. She went inside the shop and purchased a few of her favorite breads and buns hoping they would help ease her mind. She inhaled the scent of her buns as she exited the shop. She pulled one out took a bit and smiled as the bread seemed to melt away allowing the sweet flavour to spread through her mouth. She sat on a bench and enjoyed her delicious bun. She had to stop herself from devouring them all.

"These are quite addicting" she told herself sucking on her fingers. She peered in her bag she had bought one for Ace just in case he decided to see her.

Alice reached into the bag for another bun when she heard a faint click of a camera. She froze and dropped the bun back into the bag. She only moved her eyes searching the area hoping for it to be some tourists. She saw nothing but a figure slip into the shadows of an alley. She squinted at the alley, an undercover cop? A spy? She thought. She knew it was nothing mob related.

"Only government services dare to spy in daylight" she said. Assuming it was her workplace sending someone to tail her, she headed for the library. It was a great chance to get information for her history report. Since she knew that perverted teacher would no longer take it easy on her and let her not do the report.

She walked down the street like she had nothing to hide, and around every other corner discreetly looked in the glass of a building or shop to see the figure following through the shadows. She arrived at the library but the figure did not follow her inside, Alice looked around the area suspiciously then headed for a computer and got straight to work.

Alice stayed at the library until evening; she walked outside to see the figure slip back further into the shadow. She clenched her teeth together and commenced her longest and most intricate route home. During the walk Alice could hear the faint patter of her stalker's steps. Every once in a while they would disappear and when she thought the figure was gone the patter would reappear. Alice focused in the steps to the point where she was subconsciously counting them. Every twenty steps they would stop.

The sun had set darkness was upon them allowing Alice to be fed up with her stalker. She stopped and turned around but she didn't see the figure fall back to the shadows from anywhere. She bared her teeth

"Come out" she hissed. Nothing but the welcoming sound of crickets broke the silence. She grunted and started to walk listening for the steps but she heard nothing, absolutely nothing.