Dobby and Winky

Disclaimer: Once again I swear I do not own the Harry Potter Characters. I only claim ownership of Miranda, a really cool Goddess.

Chapter 10

Hermione awoke the next morning to two very large eyes within inches of her own staring at her. The year of being on the run didn't fail her as she rolled off her bed and snatched her wand from under her pillow. She had it raised with a hex on her tongue within a second of hitting the floor.

"Winky is sorry Miss Grangy," The house-elf apologized. "Winky didn't mean to startle you."

"What is it Mione?" Harry frantically asked through the bond. Hermione knew he was already scrambling down the steps to try to get to her as he had felt her panic.

"Nothing Harry," She replied to calm him down. "Winky is here and she startled me when I woke up," Her own heartbeat was starting to slow as she got off the floor and sat on her bed.

"It's alright Winky," Hermione said to the little elf.

"Dobby said that…well Dobby said you might know of a family who would bond with a disgraced elf," Winky explained. "Winky has had no Butterbeer in two days Miss Grangy. Winky wants a family."

Hermione sighed to herself as she looked at the house-elf. She remembered how miserable the elf had looked in the cupboard and now, with just a promise of bonding…of enslaving herself she was perky and full of life again. "You're not a disgraced elf Winky," She started gently. "I was there when your old master freed you; I know the whole story of his son. I know how you followed the orders given to you even when it required you to go up high when you hated being there."

"A good house-elf always does what she is told missus," Winky said. "And Winky always tried to be a good elf."

"Let me get dressed and we'll go find Harry," Hermione said quietly. "Then we'll tell you about the family who would like for you to join them."

Winky was so excited that as soon as Hermione pulled her clothes out of her trunk, she found herself wearing them thanks to the little elf. "Missus is dressed, we can go now," She said as she took Hermione's hand and started pulling her out the door.

"Well that can definitely be a time saver in the mornings," Hermione mused. "Harry it's time to bring Winky into our family if she wants to bond. Can you meet us in the Room of Requirements soon?"

"Of course love," Harry replied. "You got ready quickly."

"I had a little help," She replied as she sent the experience of being dressed by the elf to her husband who couldn't help but chuckle. Hermione turned to Winky. "Let's go to the come and go room and discuss this further."

"Come and go room it is missus," Winky replied as she gripped Hermione's hand tighter. A second later they were outside the Room of Requirements.

"I meant we should...oh never mind," Hermione replied.

"Did Winky do something wrong missus?"

"Of course not. I was just not expecting to apparate."

"Winky is sorry missus."

"You didn't do anything wrong. I was just surprised."

Hermione paced in front of the wall several times requesting a small room to talk in and a door appeared. She and Winky entered and they found three chairs in a small circle waiting for them.

"Sit down Winky," Hermione gestured to a chair as she took another of the chairs.

"Winky should not be sitting," The little elf replied. "Winky needs to get to her new family and start working."