Aftermath

Disclaimer: I solemnly swear that though I do not own the characters found in the Harry Potter series written by JK Rowling, I believe I treat them far far better; at least the good guys.

Let's pause a moment to celebrate our victory fellow Harmony fans. JKR admitting she was wrong to pair Hermione with that...that...eh...Ron. YEAH! Now go out and burn book 6 and 7 (or just download this story and add it as book 8).

11 July 1996

"I need something to eat and a cup of tea if I'm going to make it through the interrogations," A very weary Amelia Bones thought as she finished checking on her injured Aurors at St. Mungos. Since it was well after midnight, most of them had been asleep, but the Healer on duty had told her that all but one of them would be released the following day. She had been tempted to ask the young Healer for another pepper-up potion but she knew she had already had two and was wary of becoming dependent upon them. "Unfortunately the interrogations can't wait; not with Fudge promising the muggle Prime Minister that he would have answers for all of the destruction that occurred yesterday by morning." She turned to the two Aurors that were her protection detail and announced. "I'm going up to the Tea Room. I need a bite to eat."

"Sure thing ma'am," One of the guards said. "If you prefer, I can grab something for you and bring it down." The Visitor's Tea Room and Gift Shop was located on the fifth floor.

"Thank you, no," Bones replied. "I'll go." She had seen what her guards ate on occasion and anything that heavy would put her to sleep in a few minutes.

As they neared the door to the Tea Room it suddenly opened and a black-haired man with grey eyes stood there holding a steaming cup in his hands. The guards were already reaching for their wands before they realized who it was. Though the man appeared startled to find someone else out this late at night, his face relaxed into an expression of extreme fatigue when he recognized the woman.

"Good evening Sirius," Amelia said as she motioned for her detail to move a few feet away so she could speak with him in private.

"Madam Bones," Sirius replied before taking a sip from his cup. "It's morning actually...You look tired."

"Well if I only look tired, then I'm looking far better than I feel," Bones retorted. "How's Mr. Lupin?"

Sirius took another sip of from his cup as his brows furrowed. Finally with a sigh he said. "They say he'll make it, but it was close."

"That's good news," Amelia answered. "What about the other...Hestia Jones?"

Sirius let out another sigh as he shook his head.

"I'm sorry," The head of the DMLE said; the sincerity clearly evident in her voice, "I hope you realize that I had no way of knowing it was a Death Eater trap when I asked for the Order's help. It's obvious now and from the interrogations of the first couple of surviving Death Eaters that the Order was the intended target all along."

"No one is blaming you," Sirius replied. He lifted the cup and took another sip before continuing. "Voldemort laid a good trap."

"We...I should have realized he was up to something," Amelia said. "I guess I did actually, but I thought it was an attempt to go after Harry Potter."

"A reasonable suspicion considering," Sirius agreed, "But it seems Voldemort had it out for the Order."

"It appears so and more than that, he had it out for you and Mr. Lupin," Amelia said.

This caused Sirius to lower the cup and look at Madam Bones curiously. "What do you mean?"

"In the interrogations," Bones explained, "it was made clear that you and Remus Lupin were specifically targeted in the ambush. One of the Death Eaters said He-Who... I mean Voldemort mentioned you two by name."