Chapter 3

"Uncle, I want the repairs made as quickly as possible. I don't want to stay too long and risk losing his trail." said Zuko as they walked down the front spout of the broken ship.

"You mean the avatar?" uncle asked.

"Don't mention him on these docks! Once word gets out that he's alive every firebender will be out looking for him and I don't want anyone getting in the way."

"Getting in the way of what, Prince Zuko?"

"Captain Zhao."

"Actually it's commander now. And General Iroh, great hero of our nation."

"Retired general."

Miko stood behind Iroh, trying to be forgotten. "Ah I see you still have your birthday present Prince Zuko. I do hope she's served you well these years." Zuko shot him a look full of poison, Miko just stood there, standing tall, ignoring his comment.

"The Fire Lord's brother and son are welcome guests any time. What brings you to my harbor?"

"Our ship is being repaired." Said Iroh

"That's quite a bit of damage."

" Yes... you wouldn't believe what happened. Uncle! Tell Commander Zhao what happened."

"Yes, I will do that. It was incredible. What... did we crash or something?" Uncle whispered.

"Uh, yes!" Zuko answered

"Right into an Earth Kingdom ship." Miko chimed in.

"Really? You must regale me with all the thrilling details. Join me for a drink?" -Zhao

"Sorry, but we have to go." -Zuko
He and Miko turned to leave.

"Prince Zuko, show Commander Zhao your respect. We would be honored to join you. Do you have any ginseng tea? It's my favorite." -uncle
They followed Zhao to his tent.

"And by year's end, the Earth Kingdom capital will be under our rule." Said Zhao, looking at the map on the world, hanging on the wall. "The Fire Lord will finally claim victory in this war. "

"If my father thinks the rest of the world will follow him willingly, then he is a fool. "

"Two years at sea have done little to temper your tongue. So, how is your search for the Avatar going? " At that moment Miko knocked over a weapons rack, sending everything clattering to the floor. Everyone stopped and looked at her.

"I-I'm sorry, that was my fault entirely." Miko said embarrassed.

"We haven't found him yet." Said Zuko , starting again.

"Did you really expect to? The Avatar died a hundred years ago along with the rest of the airbenders." Zuko looked away. "Unless you found some evidence that the Avatar is alive."

"No. Nothing. " Said Zuko, still looking away.

"Prince Zuko, the Avatar is the only one who can stop the Fire Nation from winning this war." Said Zhao, rising from his chair. "If you have an ounce of loyalty left, you'll tell me what you've found."

"I haven't found anything. It's like you said. The Avatar probably died a long time ago. Come on, Uncle, Miko, we're going." They all got up to leave, but were blocked by a guard t the entrance.

"Commander Zhao, we interrogated the crew as you instructed. They confirmed Prince Zuko had the Avatar in custody, but let him escape." He said.

"Now, remind me... how exactly was your ship damaged?"

"So, a twelve-year-old boy bested you and your firebenders? You're more pathetic than I thought." After Zuko explained, unwillingly.

"I underestimated him once, but it will not happen again."

"No, it will not, because you won't have a second chance." Miko and Zuko both looked at the commander in shock.

"Commander Zhao, I've been hunting the Avatar for two years and I... "

"And you failed!" He said cutting him off.

"Capturing the Avatar is too important to leave in a teenager's hands. He's mine now." Zuko lunged at Zhao, but was restrained by Miko. Frustrated, he ripped out of Miko's grasp, and kicked the chair as he sat down.

"More tea please." uncle asked.

"Keep them here. " He said to the guards. Zhao returned 40 minuets later. "My search party is ready. Once I'm out to sea, my guards will escort you back to your ship and you'll be free to go."

"Why? Are you worried I'm going to try and stop you?" Asked Zuko.

"You? Stop me? Impossible." He answered, laughing.

"Don't underestimate me, Zhao. I will capture the Avatar before you." He said, getting up in his face.

"Prince Zuko, that's enough!" Said uncle.

"You can't compete with me. I have hundreds of warships under my command, and you... you're just a banished prince. No home. No allies. Your own father doesn't even want you."

"You're wrong. Once I deliver the Avatar to my father he will welcome me home with honor and restore my rightful place on the throne."

"If your father really wanted you home, he'd have let you return by now, Avatar or no Avatar, but in his eyes you are a failure and a disgrace to the Fire Nation."

"That's not true."

"You have the scar to prove it."

"Maybe you'd like one to match!" He screamed in his face.

"Is that a challenge?"

"An agni kai. At sunset."

"Very well. It's a shame your father won't be here to watch me humiliate you. I guess your uncle and pet will do. " Zhao left the tent.

"Prince Zuko, have you forgotten what happened last time you dueled a master?" Asked Miko and uncle, worried.

"I will never forget." Sunset came and they all met in the arena. Miko and Uncle stood with Zuko at one end, Zhao was at the other with four attendants.

"Remember your firebending basics, Prince Zuko. They are your greatest weapons."

"I refuse to let him win." He said, standing up. Zuko took the first shot. it missed Zhao, as he kept shooting, he kept missing. As he started to lose his temper, Zhao advanced, eventually knocking Zuko to the ground.

"Basics, Zuko! Break his root!" Screamed Miko.

As Zhao ran up to Zuko, he spun and took Zhao's feet out from under him. he started to push back, with more intensity. he ran up to Zhao as he was knocked flat on his back.

"Do it!" Zhao yelled.

Zuko let out his fire blast harmlessly next to Zhao's head.

"That's it? Your father raised a coward."

"Next time you get in my way, I promise I won't hold back." He turned and started to walk away. in utter rage Zhao unleashes a fire whip at Zuko. before he releases it, Miko grabs his foot, extinguishing the flame, stopping his dishonorable attack. Zuko turns back around and rushed to avenge the insult, but is held back by Uncle.

"No, Prince Zuko. Do not taint your victory." Miko pushed on Zhao, throwing him to the ground. "So this is how the great Commander Zhao acts in defeat. Disgraceful. Even in exile my nephew is more honorable than you. Thanks again for the tea. It was delicious." They all turned and walked back to their ship.

"Did you really mean that, Uncle?"

"Of course. I told you ginseng tea is my favorite."