Chapter 6

Zuko, Miko and Iroh stood on the foredeck. Zuko glanced though his telescope.

"There is a storm coming. A big one." said Iroh. Zuko lowered his telescope.

"You're out of your mind, Uncle. The weather's perfect. There's not a cloud in sight."

"The storm is approaching from the north. I suggest we alter our course and head southwest."

"We know the Avatar is heading north, so we will do the same."

"Prince Zuko, consider the saftey of the crew." Miko said 

"The saftey of the crew dosen't matter!" Lieutenant Jee came over to the group. He clearly over heard Zuko's comment. "Finding the Avatar is far more important than any individual's safety." Zuko stormed back into the ship, followed by Miko. She stopped him in the hall.

"Even my saftey Zuko?" she said, looking up into his eyes.

"Miko, you know how important the Avatar is. I'm sorry." He left her standing in the hall, all alone. 

********************

Miko stood with Lieutenant Jee and some other crew members, watching Zuko walk the deck. On the horizon a storm brewed, and the ship was heading straight for it.

"Uh! looks like your uncle was right about that storm after all." Jee said.

"Lucky guess." Uncle said.

"Lieutenant, you'd better learn some respect, or I will teach it to you." Zuko told him, getting up in his face.

"What do you know about respect? The way you talk to everyone around here, from your hard working crew, to Miko, to your esteemed uncle shows you know nothing about respect. You don't care about anyone but yourself! Then again, what should I expect from a spoiled prince?"  Zuko stopped midstep. He turned to face the lieutenant.

"Easy now." Miko cut in, trying to calm the situation. Neither of them listened. They both took their firebending stances. They crossed their wrists, the point of contact, smoking. Suddenly uncle came up and broke them apart in one swift move.

"Enough! We are all a bit tired from being at sea so long. I'm sure after a bowl of noodles, everyone will feel much better." They both glared at each other then turned and walked away. 

"I dont need your help keeping order on my ship." He said to Iroh. Miko placed her hand on his shoulder, for him to shove it off. He walked to the bow of the ship and watched the storm clouds roll closer and closer. She watched him stand there, her heart ached, seeing him like this.

She knew Zuko needed his space right now, so she turned and headed down to her room. She didn't spend much time in here anymore. Most nights were spend with Zuko. She curled up on her bed as the ship entered the storm. She heard Zuko enter his room down the hall, locking his door behind him.

The ship started to rock, as the waters got rough. Miko couldnt stand being in her room, all alone, as the ship rocked. It brought back too many bad memories. All of the weeks at sea, stuck in the prison hold of Captains Zhao's ship 3 years ago, had left her scarred. She left her room and headed down to the galley. She joined up with uncle on the way down. 

"How are you fairing in this weather Miko? It is quite rough out there."

"I'm doing as good as expected. I don't like being at sea in a storm."

"It will be ok, the storm won't last forever." 

*************

"I'm sick of taking his orders and I'm tired of chasing his Avatar! I don't understand how miko puts up with him, the way he treats her? I mean who does Zuko think he is?" Lieutenant Jee said.

"Do you really want to know?" Iroh said, walking down the stairs in the galley, followed by Miko.

"General Iroh! We were just--" Iroh raised his hand in acceptance.

"It's ok, m ay we join you?"

"Of course, sir!' He and Miko sat down among the crew members, around the fire.

"Try to understand, my nephew is a complicated young man. He has been through much..." They told  Zuko's story, his mishap in the war chamber. "Zuko was right, you see, but it was not his place to speak out and there were..... dire consequences. After Zuko's outburst in the meeting, the fire lord became very angry with him. He said that Zuko's challenge of the general was an act of complete disrespect, and there was only one way to resolve this....."

"Agni kai. A fire duel."

"That's right. Zuko looked apon the old general he'd insulted and declared that he was not afraid. But Zuko misunderstood. When he turned to face his opponent, he was surprised to see it was not the General. Zuko had spoken out against the general's plan, but by doing so in the Fire Lord's war room, it was the Fire Lord whom he had disrespected. Zuko would have to duel his own father. When Prince Zuko saw that it was his father who had come to duel him, he begged for mercy.... I looked away."

"I remember that like it was yesterday. It was horrible." Miko said

"I always thought that Prince Zuko was in a training accident." Jee said.

"It was no accident. After the duel, the Fire Lord said by refusing to fight, Zuko had shown shameful weakness. As punishment he was banished and sent to capture the Avatar. Only the could he return home with his honor." said Iroh.

"So that's why he's so obsessed. Capturing the Avatar is the only chance he has of things returning to normal."

"Things will never return to normal. But the important thing is that it gives Zuko hope." Jee nodded.

"What about you Miko? I thought you were hired when the rest of the crew was." Miko looked at her feet.

"No, I wasn't...... Commander Zhao gave me to Zuko as a birthday present. I've been Zuko's servant for almost four years now." Jee was dumbfounded.

"So your not even here on your own choice." Miko looked away.

**********

"Where were we hit?" Zuko yelled as the stormed raged.

"I don't know!" Jee yelled back.

"Look!" Miko yelled, and pointed to the bridge, where the helmsman was dangling off the rigging.

"The helmsman!" Zuko yelled, surprised. He ran over to the external ldder and started to climb, followed by Jee. Zuko caught him and handed him down to Jee. As he looked back, the Avatar flew through the storm on his bison. "The Avatar!'

"What do you want to do, sir?" Zuko paused.

"Let him go, we need to get this ship to safety"

"Then we must head directly into the eye of the storm." Iroh said confidently.

***********

Standing on the deck, looking up at the sky, through the eye of the storm, Zuko turned to Iroh. 

"Uncle, I am sorry."

"Your apology is accepted." he said, smiling. He turned and walked back inside. Zuko turned to Miko. They were alone on the deck now. He took her hand in his.

"And I'm sorry to you. I shouldnt have risked the ship and the crew's saftey, or your safey." 

"I forgive you, Zuko." He pulled her close, wrapping his strong arms around her waist and kissed her. Her knees went weak again. She never got tired of that.

"I love you." He smiled and said to her, his face inches from hers.

"I love you, too." she smiled back.