Chapter Two - A Company of Magicians

Sophie was surprised at how calmly the two boys took it. Not just teleporting, which always leaves you queasy the first few times, but their arrival, the situation, magic itself.

“It seems to me,” she remarked, “that this isn’t so unexpected.”

The one who had introduced himself as David shrugged.

“That’s not an answer,” she narrowed her eyes. “What do you know?”

“I know that Gus can’t be the only person in this world with magic at his fingertips,” David said, irritably. “Alright?”

“You have magic?” Blue’s face brightened. “What sort?”

The boy stared back at him, saying nothing. Slowly, before their eyes, the grass beneath his feet shaded from green to purple, in a slowly expanding circle of colour, like spilt paint.

“That’s…unusual,” Blue gave Sophie a meaningful glance.

Sophie returned the look, trying to say with it: Chrysanthemum needs to see this.

 Magic belonged to divisions. You fitted into divisions. That was how it worked. And not one division held the ability to change green grass to purple like that. Clearly, this silent little boy was something special.

 “I’m Sophie,” she didn’t offer to shake their hands. “This is Blue. We’ll be taking you back to our base right now. There are a few more people you need to meet: the core of our little army.”

David shook his head. “I’m not going anywhere with you till you tell me what you want with us.”

Sophie sighed. “We’re saving your lives. There are people who want to kill you. Coincidentally, they also want to kill me. So we’re kind of on the same side. Particularly as I’m trying to save the world and you’re my answer. Alright?”

“No.” David’s face had the blank look of cold anger. “That’s not enough. Who are you? Why are you? How do we know we can trust you?”

“There isn’t time now,” Sophie said, impatiently. “We aren’t safe here. Blue, take Gus.”

Blue grabbed the boy’s arm before letting go with a yelp.

“Don’t.”

It was the first word they had heard Gus say, and it was said with dangerous calm.

“Gus,” David looked at his brother.

“Don’t,” Gus repeated.

“Ok,” Blue said, shakily. “I won’t. Ouch, that hurt. Like grabbing a live wire.”