Chapter Sixteen - The Countdown Begins

“Blue?” Celia ran towards him as he appeared in the corridor. “Oh sweet…”

“There’s a pulse,” Max said, grimly. “Give her here, boy. Celia, grab Chrysanthemum. I need her too. Take care of the idiot.”

Blue let Max take Adele out of his arms, handling her carefully so as not to break off any of her fingers. She was as close to dead as one can possibly be, and the chances of reviving her were slim, but there was a heartbeat.

 Blue sagged, Celia catching him quickly.

“In there,” she ordered. “By the fire. Sit down. Don’t get excited.”

Blue was too exhausted to argue. He was drained, the matter taken completely out of his hands. Max hurried away, yelling for Chrysanthemum to bring hot water and herbs and towels and hope.

“Can’t he,” Blue gasped for air, “magic her better?”

“This is beyond magic,” Celia said, sympathetically. “This is down to human now, and luck. And faith.”

Blue leant his head against the side of the chair and shut his eyes.

“Please,” he whispered. “Please, please, please.”

Celia crept into the room hours later, exhausted. She hadn’t realised how hard it was to defrost someone. All the care taken not to break off fingers and toes, all the time taken up, all the things that needed to happen to keep someone alive.

 Blue was asleep, a worried line creasing his forehead, arms trailing to the floor. Celia smiled faintly at how peaceful and innocent he looked, a total contrast to how she had last seen him. It seemed a shame to wake him, but he would kill her if she didn’t.

“Blue,” she shook his shoulder. “Blue, wake up. Blue.”

Blue groaned and opened his eyes, blinking blearily at her. For a moment, he looked half-dazed before his eyes focused and he fell from the chair.

“Adele!” he burst out. “How is she?”

Celia’s face broke into a smile. “She’s alive. She’s going to be alright.”

Blue gave a soft sob of relief.

“You did good, Blue,” Celia patted him on the head. “Well done.”

Blue ducked away from her. “Can I see her?”

Celia nodded. “She’s awake now. A little panicked. Oh, and she won’t be able to see you.”

Blue’s eyes turned huge.

“What?” he yelled.

“It’s ok, it’s ok,” Celia raised her hands, placatingly. “It’s snow-blindness. It’ll wear off soon. Just go gently. She’s…fragile.”

Blue nodded. “I can be gentle.”

“Oddly, I think you can,” Celia smiled, a little proudly. “In you go, Blue.”

Blue rushed from the room, leaving all his sleepiness behind like a discarded jacket. Celia smiled and flopped into his chair, relieved and not a little triumphant.

“Adele?” Blue peered around the door.

“Come in,” Max looked up from the corner. “You are allowed. Adele, it’s your saviour.”

“Hello, saviour,” Adele turned her head vaguely in Blue’s direction. “I…I can’t see you.”

Blue hurried across the room towards her.