Chapter Four - People

“He’s creepy, huh?” Blue said, conversationally.

Sophie rolled her eyes. “You mean Gus?”

Blue nodded. “Yeah. All that death and magic and knowing stuff because he needs to know it…really creepy.”

Sophie shrugged. “I get the feeling he’s pretty smart, really. Just a bit messed up.”

“Aren’t we all?”

“Yes, but who knows how long he had lived knowing exactly how he must die?” Sophie pointed out. “And his parents are dead and everything…can’t have been an easy life.”

“Right,” Blue muttered, and Sophie could practically hear him thinking: Like any of us had an easy ride…

“But midwinter,” Sophie shook her head. “That’s a long time. I mean…that’s too long. Think how much has happened in the past few months.”

“You,” Blue counted on his fingers. “Political drama, Celia being exiled from the Society twice….”

“Celia and Merry,” Sophie nodded.

“They aren’t anything,” Blue protested.

“Give it time,” Sophie winked. “They’ll figure it all out soon. And there’s been Zephyr and Tala…”

Blue bit his lip. “Yeah. Tala. Right.”

Sophie winced. Blue had probably been the hardest hit by Tala’s death. Sophie was glad she hadn’t told him the details. He had already sworn vengeance upon every Necromancer involved. She didn’t need him asking her again to bring her back from the dead.

 Technically, she could probably do it. She had the power and, with the Eachanstone on her hand, the control. But the idea repulsed her. Besides, there was the guilt complex. Sophie was in no doubt that Tala would remember every detail of her death, including the part Sophie herself played in it.

“What about David?” Sophie asked, thoughtfully. “What do you think of him?”

Blue considered. “A bit weird, I suppose, but he seems alright. Angry little guy, isn’t he?”

“He’s not very little,” Sophie pointed out. “Just because you’re nearly six foot these days…”

“Still,” Blue tipped his head sideways. “That boy has unresolved issues.”

Sophie laughed her agreement. “Seemed alright though.”

“Seemed like he’d be picking a fight at every corner.”

“Oh, so he’s not at all like us, then,” Sophie elbowed him. “You two had better not be enemies if I’m having to babysit both of you.”