Chapter Seven - David's Confession

Sophie opened her eyes, to blink at a roof of close-knit twigs and leaves above her, packed with mud. Her head pounded and her arm was numb, but at least she was alive.

“…” she tried to speak but her throat was dry.

“Here.”

A water bottle was pressed against her teeth. Sophie opened her mouth and let the water sooth her rasping throat.

“Thank you,” she gasped, coughing.

“No problem,” David took a swig of water. “I hear you saved our lives.”

Sophie blinked at him. “Oh. I guess so.”

“You look a mess,” he continued, “and, frankly, you stink. But nonetheless, I guess I’m grateful.”

“Nice to feel wanted,” Sophie murmured, distractedly. “How long was I…out of it?”

David shrugged. “Oh, a few hours. Nothing too bad. We figured part of it was simple exhaustion.”

“You’re ok?” Sophie checked.

David nodded, raising one hand to the bandage around his head.

“Yeah,” he said, ruefully. “Bash on the head and I’ve done my ankle in, which is why I’m still here with you. Gus got by alright. He’s just a bit bruised. Blue’s had a tooth knocked out and a dozen minor wounds, but nothing bad. You were worst.”

“Typical,” Sophie sighed. “Where are we?”

David shrugged. “Blue said he used to come here a lot. By the looks of it, someone used to live here. All I know is that it’s an extremely well-made tree house.”

“Tala?” Sophie murmured. “He’s brought us to one of Tala’s places?”

“Who’s Tala?”

Sophie ignored the question, sitting up and immediately falling back again.

“Careful,” David helped her upright. “You’re not in a good way.”

Sophie leant back on the cushion he gave her, surveying the surroundings. She was, despite herself, impressed.

 The tree-house had one room, made of branches, ferns and mud packed together for waterproofing. There was one narrow bed, on which she now sat, and a hammock strung up in another corner, a small table, what looked like a miniature fridge, two large boxes, and a battery-powered lamp.

“It’s a perfect hideout,” Sophie looked around. “How high are we?”

“Pretty high,” David nearly smiled. “Blue had to teleport us up here, I know that much. Then he vanished and returned with you, unconscious and covered in blood, mud and your own sick.”