No Smoke....Without Fire

Harley slowly sipped at her coffee staring into the skyline of Gotham, it was falling into dusk.

She should most likely go back now...if she wanted to avoid murder/ rape/ certain clown doom.

Harley checked her watch, yep it was 17:46, she stood up from the little bench at the top of the park, took a deep breath of fresh air and started walking in the direction of her nearby apartment.

5 months.

Since their kiss, since he escaped, since she moved, since she...

Since she realised she was in love with The Joker.

Hand in his pocket, Joker stared out onto the city, his city.

His purple trench coat blew around his legs and his sleeked-back green hair was lightly letting strands loose in the wind.

Joker was contemplating...his plans for the future were almost set, he liked being organised despite what people thought. It was just Harley setting him on the edge, he made her a promise.

He swore to keep it.

27th December, 2011.

-3:00pm-

Smoke everywhere, it stung her eyes, they watered furiously as the fire alarm was blazing in her ears. She had to leave her office, quickly before the fire cornered her, Harley could barely breath. She needed to escape now!

-2 hours earlier-

"So you're planning an escape?" Harley exclaimed when Joker revealed his plans.

"Shhh... yes baby. But breath a word, I will be really sad and frowny. You don't want to disappoint me do you?"

"Of course not! I would never..."

"Good."

Harley lowered her voice even more

"..Will you come back for me?"

Joker leaned into her hair

"I couldn't continue without you darling."

Harley grinned, it felt like a dream. He loved her.

After the Joker left their session, she sat back at her desk, drank her tea and considered everything that was going on in her life. They've only kissed once but damn, that was all she could think about half the time. They talked about everything, he listened to her and he was so interesting she couldn't help but be enticed by his stories.

She gave a happy sigh as she imagined his rough lips against her soft ones.

At the beginning of the session, Joker told her that he was leaving. The idea made tears come to her eyes but she knew he was better than these four walls. He was brilliant, the Joker being contained? THAT was utter madness.

It really was "Harls, toots, I'm going for a while, but this is one of our little secrets"

They both knew she wouldn't dare betray him, only stupid people did that. She wasn't stupid, let alone a bitch. To do that to her Joker? Why would she?

The Joker trusted her, he trusted no-one. He treated her as an equal, his opposite, he really cared. She rarely got that, and she cherished it.

But...that little voice in the back of her head, constantly talking, all the time, telling her this was stupid. She was his doctor, she should be treating him. Not let him willfully escape and murder people.

He was a monster, she knew it, and the Joker was sick and twisted.

SHUT UP.

Shutup,shutup,shutup!

Harley banged her head on the desk, she closed her eyes and let the darkness take over her thoughts.

She should NEVER think of him like that, he was beautiful in his own dark way. Misunderstood, people simply judged him without seeing what his actual vision was for people, the escape for society Gotham needed.

For the first time she mattered, she actually mattered to someone that much they changed their plans for her. She could never let him go.

She breathed in deeply, opened her eyes and looked back at her computer screen, 2:00pm.

Joker explained roughly that he was planning a breakout in the night time, perfect. She would be gone.

-Jokers POV, 2:00pm-

Explosives in place? Check! Bribed guards ready to let all hell loose? Check!

Molotov Cocktails preparing to be lit and thrown? CHECK!

Blonde doctor sneaking away with him? HOLD THE PHONE.

*tsk-tsk* He hated to leave his little blondie behind but she was too much of an alibi. I mean, she was great n'all but... she simply wasn't devoted to him. Joker knew that she was still developing and she would break if he took her now, no no, he would have to come back for his harlequin later. When Joker made a promise, he kept it.

Especially to her.

Now, it was time to let the fireworks off.

-Harleys POV, 2:55pm-

*BOOM!*

Harley felt her entire room shake and pictures fell off the wall and one of the windows

crac-

*BOOM!*

This one was much closer, Harley dived under her desk for cover, her hands automatically reaching behind her head just as anoth-

*BOOOOOOOM!*

This one was in front of her door, blowing it off its hinges, paper was flying everywhere, her windows both smashed. Harley's ears rung with the sound of the explosion, she was struggling to keep her vision focused. The smoke quickly filled her nose making her gag violently. It made her eyes water, she peeked out from underneath her desk and saw the fire raging around the door frame. She had to get out, NOW.

Harley picked herself up, covering her eyes slightly with her sleeve and crouch-jogged towards the door. She picked the pace and ran through the door, feeling her skin nearly burn at the intense heat. The fire alarm made it all the more difficult to focus, Harley considered the nearest exit down the stairs which was covered with guards, all dead.

Crying and shocked Harley quickly stepped over bodies trying to beat the fire to the exit...also trying to keep an eye out for rogue inmates.

She could see the door into the courtyard, freedom!

Then the code-red system started blaring from the speakers...all code-red patients were free.

Fuck.