(Ch 11)

At around five, the guests started piling in. We were at that age where most people were drinking but it was accepted if you didn't. Therefore, Josie made it BYO.

People greeted me as they walked in, wishing me happy birthdays and giving me hugs.

Almost all of our year was invited. Almost all. Yes, Brittany was spared. I love Josie for that.

When everyone had arrived, small groups began to form. Mainly the same groups from school.

The music was pumping from Josie and Matt's state-of-the-art speakers, people were dancing, couples were making out, a few boys were having shots and everyone was having a really great time.

I decided not to drink tonight not because I was a goody-two-shoes, no, that was Josie's reason but because A: I don't like the taste of alcohol, B: Someone needed to stay in charge and C: I wanted to remember this great night.

No one was really pissed yet, only buzzed as the night was still young. I felt Jake's presence at my side.

"Wow! I've never been to a high school party before!" he said, eyes wide.  

"Don't get used to it," I laughed. "But I'll let you off the hook because it's my birthday, just don't have anything to drink, okay?" 

"I won't. That would just ruin my football career," Jake explained.

Yes, Jake was a footy nut. Apparently he was going to be a famous football player one day. I wouldn't say that was impossible, seeing as he is actually pretty good at it, but it was highly unlikely.

"Have fun, buddy," I said.  

"But I don't know anyone," Jake protested.  

"Have you met Ben yet?" I asked.  

"Yeah. He's the one you're madly in love with," he teased.  

"Ignoring that. He's really nice. Maybe he can introduce you to some of the people here" 

I pointed out Ben and Jake made his way over to him.

What a good sister I am!

I walked to the fridge and grabbed out a soda. I was tired of happy birthdays and making conversation so I went outside for some fresh air.

The cold air nipped at my skin. It was a particularly chilly day for the season. I made my way over to the swingset in the backyard, assuming it was Jace's. I sat on one of the swings and began rocking myself slowly back and forth.

I looked up at the stars and smiled because in that hospital, my mother would be looking up at the same stars as I was. She would be thinking about the future. She wouldn't be thinking about the fact that she has life-threatening cancer and that we can't pay for the treatment. Mum would be thinking about what she was going to do after she got out of that white-walled prison. After all, she had decided not to die.

I was so lost in thought that I didn't realise Matt had sat on the swing next to me. He was staring up at the stars too; no doubt trying to see what I was looking at.

"Dana? What are you looking at?"

And Bingo was his name-o.

I let out a sigh, "Just the stars".  

"Oh, ok. Do you remember-" 

"Nothing stopped us on the field!" I cut in.  

"What?" Matt asked, confused.  

"Oh it's just a song," I replied.  

"I know. Oh the flame trees will blind the weary driver," He started singing.