(Ch 8)

Dana's POV

"Dana? Hello?"

It was Curly Fries. I was in biology. Monday. Period 1. Not happy.

"Yes?", I replied flatly.

"Are you listening?"

"Of course I was! Carry on, Curly Fries; World War One just started getting interesting", the sarcasm dripping from my voice.

"Well Dana, this is biology, not history. So if you think you are so smart, why don't you teach the class?", a smirk formed on his face.

I knew this trick. Every other teacher has already used it at my old schools. I was supposed to say 'No, sir. Carry on'.

Supposed to.

Instead, I answered, "I thought you'd never ask".

I stood up and made my way to his large wooden desk, then motioned for him to move away. His expression was priceless; surprised that a student had gone against him. I smirked.

"So class", I began, "This is useless in real life. I mean, when are we ever going to need to dissect a frog? And where does PETA stand in all this? Animal Cruelty here, people! So, to recap, biology is a waste of our time and your homework is to eat pizza and watch TV. Oh, and remember, WE BUILT THIS CITY ON ROCK AND ROLL!"

Challenge me, Curly Fries. Go on. I dare you.

I walked back to my desk as innocently as possible, took my seat and said, "Thankyou, Curly Fries".

"Dana. Detention. Lunch", he stated.

"Yeah, yeah", I snatched the blue card off him, "I know"

It was worth it. I smiled internally.

•••

I walked to class with Josie. She was my only real girl friend. I usually didn't bother to make friends because I changed schools so often. Now that Mum was in hospital, I thought I should try a bit harder to keep in the one school. Less stress for Mum.

A chorus of gratitude filled the hallway.

"Great homework.

"You were awesome.

"So funny.

"It was a matter of time.

I laughed and tried to be friendly. Hey, it wouldn't hurt to have some allies, right?

"So Dana, I heard you were looking for a job", Josie started as she reached for a copy of this week's Freedom Of Speech.

I pushed the reason for the job aside. I couldn't think of that now.

Josie's POV

"Uh, yeah. I think I found one", Dana replied.

"Great. When do you start?"

"This afternoon"

"Hope it pays well", I winked at her.

Dana laughed but I could tell it was strained. Something must've been on her mind. We split up as I had History next while she had English.

Damn. I had forgotten to ask what the job was. I can be so stupid sometimes. Ha, try say that five times fast.

So stupid sometimes.

So stupids times.

Sto upids.

Aw, I only got three.

Anyway, history. I liked history. No, not because I'm a tiny, weeny bit nerdy but because its a breezy subject. To be honest, all you have to know is what year Australia was colonised and you're set for the end of year exams. Okay, maybe that was a slight exaggeration and there was an essay as well but I had already written that.