Chapter 21

The next few weeks were uneventful. After meeting the family, I was fully incorporated into the pack. I helped Charles with the paperwork,  whenever Zoro would ask I would help him make dinner, and I spent a lot of time getting to know Charles's family.

It has become glaringly obvious that Charles and his oldest uncle, Rian, are not talking. When I tried to ask someone about it, they would only say it isn't their story to tell, but I really wish someone would tell me, because everytime they are in a room together I feel like I could cut the tension with a butter knife. Charles won't look at Rian, and Rian won't look at Charles. I have also notice that Rian makes sure his pups, expecially his daughter, Cassie, stay a far distance away from Charles. If I didn't know any better, I would say that he didn't trust his nephew, the alpha, with his chidren.

Another area of concern? Ashton. Ever since I met the kid I feel this funky aura around him. Not the 'I want to kill you', but the 'I'm depressed but I try and hide it because I feel like no one cares' aura. I have gone up to him on several occasions, but he only glares at me before running in the other direction.

Zoro, of course, planned my birthday party for the weekend that I arrived. There was no gifts, something Zoro was upset about, so much so he almost started crying until Riley calmed him down, but it was the best day of my life.

Never in my life have I felt so loved, not even when my parents were alive. They hated me, I assume more so now that I am the reason that they ended up dead. I'm sure they wished that I never existed, that my younger siblings had come out first. I could tell they hated me, but that didn't change anything. I was a little boy, and all I wanted was for mommy and daddy to love me.

Don't worry about them. Everything will work itself out, you'll see.

I sigh as I listen to my wolf. He has been making weird remarks like this ever since I have settled in. I have no idea what they mean, and he never explains, so over the weeks I have learned to ignore him, but also keep my mind open to see of anything he said clicks with something that happens.

"Mason? You in here?" I look up and smile at Aria as a he walks into Charles's office. I smile at her and my gaze wanders to the tray she is carrying. My smile widens when I see the homemade applesauce with rasberries. Ever since Zoro had first taught me the recipe, and even introduced me to it, I have been hooked. I eat it at least once a day and every few days I have to help Zoro make another heaping batch of it.

"Hey, Aria. Thanks for bringing me something to eat." I say as she sets the tray down in front of me. She smiles before sitting down on the chair and looking around the small room. I look up at her through my eyes lashes as I stuff the appley goodness into my mouth.

"Is there something you needed?" I ask her. She shrugs before sighing.

"Its......Ashton." She sighs as he head flops back as she looks up at the ceiling. My gaze immediately sharpens, is something wrong?

"What? What happened to him? Is he okay?" She groans while throwing her hands up in the air.

"Your the only one who cares, and he's avoiding you! I have been telling everyone something is wrong, and they just brush me off, saying he's a teenager growing up, but there is something seriously wrong. He won't even talk to me anymore, and we tell eachother everything." She cries as he hands grip onto her hair. I reach for her hands and slowly pry them out of her hair.

"Why don't you tell me where he is, and I'll talk to him, see what's bothering him. I'm sure he is just bottling it up, if I say the right things, he'll crack." I sooth her as I rub a hand down her cheek. She nods her head before sniffing and wiping her tears.

"Okay, thank you Mason, I can bare to watch him torture himself over what is going on in his head. I think he should be in his room, or by the river." I nod at her and watch as she leaves. I sigh, no one ever told me I was mated into as family full of problems.