Chapter 2

Connie's POV

I get done with my chores early today, so I ask my mom if I can hang out with Steven a little.   (Today is Saturday, so naturally I had already finished my schoolwork yesterday)  To my surprise she says yes, after her usual interrogation.  I decide to pack a bathing suit, just in case.  After I finish stuffing it in a backpack, I run to Steven's house as fast as I can.  My mom said to be back by five, and since it's  already three thirty I don't have a lot of time to hang out.  When I knock on Steven's door no one answers at first.  After a while Garnet comes to the door and lets me in.  "Hello Connie"  she says with little emotion.  "Isn't training  already over for today?"  "Um.. yes"  I reply awkwardly.  I always tense up when one of the gems ask why I'm there, when it's not to train, that is.  Then suddenly the silence is broken by the sound of Steven yelling followed by a thud.  I bolt past Garnet into the temple to see if he's okay.  He looks just as confused as me, but there's also a look of fear in his eyes.  His face is a little paler than normal, too.  "Are you okay!?"  I ask, startled by what just happened.  "Wha.. yeah.. I'm fine"  Steven says. 

Steven's POV

I wake up to the sound of myself falling out of bed.  When I open my eyes I feel a little out of it still, until I hear Connie frantically asking if I was okay.  I'm fine except for a soon-to-be bruise on my arm, which I rub a little with my other hand.  "Is your gem cracked?"  Connie asks with a little too much concern in her voice.  Normally I would just think this is Connie being genuinely worried, but after the dream I just had I'm starting to think that that might not be the case.  

*Flashback to dream*

I'm in my room, but for some reason everything is grey instead of pink.  Then Connie walks out behind the thick fog in the room.  She's wearing all white, and she has this long, golden, tweezer-like thing in her hand.  It looks like one of those tazer things the home world gems had on their ship.  She's smiling but her eyes show no emotion.  She comes closer to me and my gem starts glowing.  I can't move.  Then she reaches out with the tool and... everything goes black for a second.  When I can see again Connie is holding my gem in her hand.  I look around notice my arms and legs are disintegrating before my eyes.  I don't remember anything else.  All I could think about was that she just cared about my gem.  I won't let myself believe it, but I can't help feeling... I don't know.  I don't have any right to think like that.  She would never... would she?