Chapter Seven

Rae

I woke up just the way I had fell asleep... alone.

The past night's events came rushing to me in one fell swoop.

Was it a dream? Did he really kiss me? Did I like it?

No, it couldn't have been real, I couldn't have enjoyed a beast kissing me. It's just not possible, I was angry and he was angry. The stupid mate bond thingamajigy caused the entire thing.

*Knock Knock*

"Come in," I said resigned.

Alaura entered my room with a bowl of porridge and a box that was sealed with a ribbon.

"G'day miss," She said, bowing a little, "I've brought your breakfast and an order." She set the bowl in front of me and waiting until I began eating to continue, "The Prince has ordered you come with him to inspect the troops today, I come bearing your garments."

"I don't want to see the people who murdered dozens of my family," I said defiantly.

"It's either that or you spend the day with his parents, miss, which would you prefer?"

Damnit, he knew that is the absolute lowest thing on my list to do ever!

"Fine, I will go," I said to her, "But tell him I am gonna be difficult the entire time!"

"I am sure he is already expecting that miss." She bowed and left.

I got changed into the form-fitting body armor that Alaura had brought me.I looked like the female warriors in the Werewolf's Guard and I hated it.

---

I exited my chambers and went to meet my mate from hell in the courtyards.

"Took you long enough dear," He said in a hostile tone. Now I know last night must have been a dream because he would never kiss me and I would never let him.

"Today you will see what it takes to be a warrior, how our men and women are trained since they are pups to follow orders and take a hit." He smirked, "Think of it as our first date."

"Whoop De Doo" I said sarcastically.

As we walked along the lines of the training camp, I saw many familiar faces. A man with a large scar that went into his eye and down his cheek. He killed Clarissa's mother a few years ago.

Clarissa, her name brought tears to my eyes, I missed her, Addie, Brady, and Michael so much.

Many more faces, of people who had caused me and my people harm. I couldn't bear it anymore.

"How Dare You!" I screamed at Ash, who had been silent until then. "You stupid, arrogant, uncaring, Prince." I yelled at him. " Did you want me to hate you even more? All I see are the people who murdered my friends, my family! Are you trying to make a point? You have no idea what it's like, fearing for your life every. single. day. " I took a deep breath, and he forcefully dragged me away from the warriors prying eyes.

-----------

Ash

I dragged Rae into the forest where we wouldn't be seen or heard. Her story touched me. Sympathy and something else clouded my mind, but I didn't know what.

"I must appear strong, little mate." He said forcefully, "However bad it might have been for you, I guarantee it is worse for me."

She scoffed at my confession "Please," she said.

"I was sent away when I was 3, to train and become a killing machine. My parents didn't even care. You talk about how your family and friends were killed? I had none. No real family, no friends. Just me and my claws." I paused, drawing my breath. "Then all of the sudden, there was you. The sight of you made me weak, and I cannot afford that. I cannot afford to be weak. At least you'd die quickly if something happened, they would burn me alive."

All of the sudden she grabbed my hand. Maybe the mate bond compelled her as it was compelling me not to pull away.

"That sounds awful," she said softly, "I am so sorry, I judged you."

"I gave you no reason to trust me, your apology is not needed." I replied

"Maybe... maybe we can be friends," I looked at her, and she continued, "I don't know what this bond is or what it means but, we are stuck together. I mean the whole 'If one dies the other one does too,' is a little ominous but maybe we can just start with friends."

I looked at her, shocked.

My wolf kept screaming NO, she is YOURS, friends is not enough, take her NOW!

But I kept him down and nodded at her proposal.

"I'm going to go back inside if you don't mind, It's a little chilly." She said, and started back inside.

I walked back to the training yards.

Though I longed to be more than a friend to Rae, in my heart I knew I had to be distant to keep her safe.

Rae

That was strange.

Kind of felt like a heart to heart but werewolves aren't capable of that.

What am I thinking? Offering to be friends?  Get it in your head Rae that you are enemies!

I stopped by the well on my way back to the palace, but something didn't feel right.

*Whoosh*

An arrow pierced my shoulder blade.

"Ahhhhhh" I hissed. Was it an attack? Was it a rogue werewolf who caught the scent of a human?

I felt very dizzy all of the sudden, the arrow must have been laced with poppies. Then I was on my back. Vision blurry and hearing muffled, but I swear I saw a black figure looming over me before I drifted off.

------------------

Why does she keep getting kidnapped?

Ah well, who do you think kidnapped her (this time)

Guess you'll have to find out next time

XOXO Shelby Grace