V. hesitance

When the prince heard the word funeral, it was supposed to be sad. Funerals were supposed to be sad. Unless you are a cruel person and whoever died is an enemy of yours, of course. However, funerals were not meant to anger people. Death was not meant to irritate people.

However, Eric's death did. Nothing irritated him and drove him to the edge more than attending his own funeral ceremonies. Having finally gotten home, he had been helping his men unload the goods when they noticed people staring at them. Some of them stared at them as if they had two heads. Some stared in amazement as if they had been sent back from the dead. Others stared at them as if they were dead.

Max was being freed from the little cabin he was in when he was startled by two regular Danish children rushing to the tired Commander Grimsby, crying. Only then, did the crew know the reason for the odd looks as the poor dog whimpered, hiding behind his owner.

"Girls, simmer down." The commander stumbled back with a groan from the impact.

"Farfar! You're back!" The little girl cried, holding onto the old man's clothes tightly. Max glanced up at his owner in confusion. Eric looked at him before shrugging his shoulder. Both of them turned to look at the children with tilted heads in curiosity.

"Uh... Why, of course." He stuttered as his eyes softened at his granddaughter's tears.

"T-They told us you died. All- all of you." His youngest grandchild sobbed, looking up at him. Eric's jaw dropped.

The commander kneeled on the ground in front of his grandchildren, groaning as his knees cracked lightly, "I am alright. We are alright. We're just late." He shrugged lightheartedly before pulling them both in a hug.

Eric started running as soon as he had progressed what happened. Max howled as he chased after his owner. Eric approached a man, who had been leading horses out of a ship.

"I need one! Please, I'll pay you back!" He said in a rush.

"The prince!" The man's eyes widened before he smiled widely, "Of course, take as many as you need!"

"Just one. Thank you!" Eric hauled himself on top of one before sprinting atop of it back to the palace. The poor dog stopped in the middle of the street, whimpering after his owner who forget about him during his anger.

●●●

Eric hopped off his horse, giving the reins to one of the guards at the gates after praising the horse with a pat to his nose. Eric continued inside the palace, purposefully.

"You! Do you have a permit?" The guard asked rudely. Eric's blood boiled as he turned to look at the guard.

"This is my permit!" He pointed to his face with a glare, making the rude man coil back.

Eric stepped inside the palace as he pushed the doors open. All eyes in the main hall paused to look at him. Whispers erupted throughout the hall.

"The prince!"

"He's here?!"

"I knew he was alive!"

"He won't like this..."

Eric paused as he looked at the last person in confusion.

"Like what?" Eric asked the servant.

The servant opened his mouth to answer before a call interrupted him.