We finally got to Atlanta after a very long six days. We were on I-65 South heading straight into the city. Only one rode was crowded, the rode leading out of the city. We were heading in so it wasn't difficult to maneuver our way around. The city was desolate and quiet. It was creepy and unsettling. We walked out horses up to the Main Street. There was ammo all in the street. There was a tank here and a helicopter there. There was trash all over the place and a few walkers. There was a bus sitting on its side. Windows were smashed. Door were broken. There were dead people and animals laying on the ground. Then Chris and I heard a helicopter. We looked up to see its reflection in one of the glass panes on a building. We saw another man come by us on a horse two. He was galloping down the street. We followed him. Then he stopped all of the sudden and his horse reared. His horse turned and start back this way. A mob of walkers were chasing him. They headed for our horse too so we got off and ran to the nearest tank. The guy fell off his horse ran to the tank. We hopped in. He went under the tank and started shooting walkers. He must've seen the opening from the bottom of the tank because he crawled up in here. When he closed the top of the tank he looked at us and asked, "Who are you?"
"I'm . . . Jane."
"I'm Rick," he said.
We were all sweating bullets when the radiator came on.
"Hey, dumbass," the voice said. "The people in the tank. Cozy in there?"
Rick reached over to it and pushed the button and talked.
"Yeah, yeah, yeah we're . . . here."
"Good, I was starting to worry.
"Can you see me? Can you see us right now?"
"Yeah. You're surrounded by walkers. That's the bad news."
"There's good news?"
"...........No."
"Listen, whoever you are, I don't mind telling you I'm a little concerned in here."
"Oh, man, you should see it from here. You'd be having a major freak out."
Rick looked over at me and I was huddled against the metal of the tank.
"You have any advice for me?"
"Yeah, I'd say make a run for it."
"Make a run for it? That's it?"
"My way isn't as dumb as it sounds, sometimes. You've got eyes in the outside here. There's one geek still up on the tank but the others climbed down and joined the feeding frenzy where the horse went down. You with me so far?"
"So far."
"Okay. The street on the other side of the tank is less crowded. If you move now while they're distracted, you stand a chance. Got ammo?"
"In that duffel bag I dropped out there, and guns. Can I get to it?"
"Forget the bag, okay? It's not an option. What do you got with you?"
"Hold on."
Rick went searching for a gun. He went back over to the radiator.
He said, "I've got a Beretta with one clip, fifteen rounds."
"Make them count. Jump off the right side of the tank, keep going in that direction. Theres an ally up that way, maybe fifty yards. Be there."
"Wait, what's your name?"
"Are you listening? You don't have that much time."
Rick looked at me and then asked where Chris was. I looked around. I went up to see Chris being eaten by Walkers.
"I'm sorry," Rick said.
"Don't worry about it. He cheated on me anyway."
"You ready?"
"No."
He lifted the top up and we ran out of the tank, he shot his fifteen rounds. Every walker coming at him. I had an axe and I slashed some of the walker's heads open. We turned the corner and saw a Korean guy right there.
"WOAH, NOT DEAD," he said. I looked back and the mob of walkers were right there. We ran over to this ladder and started climbing it. A walker almost got my leg. All three of us got on a platform. Rick asked who he was.
"I'm Glenn," he said, "and you are?"
"I'm Rick and this is-"
"J," I interrupted.
I looked up and asked if we were climbing the ladder that went to the roof.
He said, "Well, at least it'll be the fall that kills us. I'm a half-glass-full kind of guy."
"I'm pretty sure the glass is half full and half empty," I said.
"You a realist?"
"If I wasn't, you think I would've survived this long?"
"Maybe. I saw you out there. Nice moves. This isn't a game though."
"Sure feels like it."
"Yeah, well it's not. You need to focus on staying alive."
Staying alive. This isn't living. This is surviving.