Chapter Twenty One - Vows and Crowns

"A few minutes, you highness." A close by guard alerts us. His body bowing down before returning to his post. Even the guards have a slightly better aura surrounding them, along with a Clarines crest embellished and shined on the left side of their torso.

"Did the paintings go well?" Father asks suddenly, not even looking down to me, yet he swallows harshly. I tilt my head in confusion. His eyes peering down to me after a few seconds when I don't reply. "Paintings were to be done of you, same goes to Izana. It's tradition."

I tap my chin slightly, chuckling. "It seems they were so silent, I didn't notice them, Father. But I cannot await to see the results... But that shall wait till it's over..." I reply, lowering my hand to adjust the ruffled materials around my breasts.

"Your highness, it's time." The guard states, standing in front of the large door to the throne room, awaiting our signal to push it open. I pass him a small, smile.

Choosing against it, I leave my veil to tumble down my spine and trail along the floor, not wanting it to obstruct my view.

I wind my arm around my fathers, taking deep breathes. My grip on the bouquets' handle tightening, and even though I cannot see it, I know my knuckles are white. "Father... Just don't let me stumble..." I plead silently, although he doesn't reply with words, I see him nod stiffly.

It seems as if... he's more worried than me.

Giving a nod of confirmation, the guard slowly pushes open the door. My eyes immediately closing as the bright glow of the room shown on them. The sound of chairs scraping against the floor allowed me to know people stood, yet, soft music filtered.

I step forward, slowly opening my eyes. A long, red carpet straightened out with golden trims is laid out straight through the centre of the throne room. Candles on swirled metal stands every few metres, alighting the aisle in its beautiful ember glow.

On either side of the carpet is a staggering amount of chairs, wrapped in cushioned linen and cloth with red ribbon wrapping around the back into a bow. Lords and Ladies smiling brightly, children looking confused, yet uncomfortable in their attire with the finest materials.

People from Valvious also within the rows. People I know and grew up with. My ears picking up the softest of whispers.

Breathing calmly, my eyes follow the red carpet until it reaches the alter which is on a raised platform by a few steps allowing everyone to see those on the thrones, yet for now, the thrones not in sight.

The chandeliers alight in their ambient glow as only two of the large windows are open and uncovered while the others are clasped shut, curtains disallowing the light from the bright suns in.

A large white sheet hanging from the ceiling behind the alter. Both of my sisters standing off to the left. Zen standing off to the right.

Yet my eyes land on Izana. My heart fluttering as my eyes lock with his. A heart-warming smile on his lips. Only because everyone has their eyes on me.

Deep blue, to crystal blue.

I feel my heartbeat increase at the sight of him, standing strong with a straight back. A high collared, long sleeved tunic wraps around his torso in the colour of blue. Silver material travels from his shoulder blades and stays parallel before they meet at a point above his Clarines encrusted belt.

Belt with shining, crystal chains dangling from the left side and vanish behind his back. Trousers of the same material and colour of the tunic covering his legs, yet wrapped around his shoulders is a thick cape. One of which I haven't seen, and has white fur lining it.