Chapter 19

As Alison and Emily entered the Hastings house, there stood Ali's father.

"Dad, you said you weren't going to be back for a few weeks." Alison pointed out.

"I came back to surprise you for your birthday this week. I come back to all this and ran over to see if you were okay." Mr. DiLaurentis explained.

"I'm fine, but Melissa got shot." Alison said.

"Mr. DiLaurentis, I need to speak to your daughter. You may go wait outside with the other girls." One of the officers suggested.

Mr. DiLaurentis passed his daughter and left the house. Wondering why Emily was in the if the police only had to speak to Alison. Back in the house, Alison and Emily both sat on the couch. Staring at the police officer who was sitting right across from them.

"Alison, why don't you start by telling us what exactly happened." The officer suggested.

Alison nodded and began to explain what happened, but was careful about what to say. She didn't want to say something that would just create more questions.

"Did you see who was wearing the hoodie?" The officer asked.

"No, they were wearing a mask." Alison answered.

Emily had zoned out and was replaying the entire attack in her head. Her eyes widened at the thought of something that caught her eye when A was standing in front of them. The officer pulled her back to reality, when she say them looking at her.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention." Emily said.

"I said, did you remember something that we should know about." The officer repeated.

"No, I was thinking about my father." Emily said.

The night continued with the officers questioning the other girls. The officer finally returned with Spencer and said that there was nothing else to ask. Everyone went into Spencer's house and gathered around the kitchen.

"I better get home and call my mom to let her know I'm alright." Emily said.

"Yeah, I should go to." Aria pointed.

Before Emily left, she turned back to Alison.

"Ali, your still coming over later right?" Emily asked.

Mrs. Hastings interrupted, "Why don't you girls go home, check in with your parents and stay in the barn with Spencer."

The girls smiled and all agreed to meet back in the barn at ten o'clock. Alison turned to her father and asked if she go with Emily.

"Alison, I would really rather you be home, where your safe." Mr. DiLaurentis suggested.

"I want to be with my friends tonight, plus Spencer needs all of us with her tonight. Please dad." Alison pleaded.

"I'll check on them often. Make sure they are all still okay." Mrs. Hastings proposed.

Mr. DiLaurentis signed and looked down at his daughter. He knew if he made her come home, she would not be happy.

"Alright. You have to call me in the morning." Mr. DiLaurentis said.

Alison hugged her father and followed behind Emily to her car. Hanna had called her mother. As everyone split up, Spencer went out to the barn to get it ready for her friends to return. Until the others returned, something Melissa said kept replaying in Spencer's head.

"Behind the poster." Spencer said to herself.

She walked into the barn, wiping her tear away and put on a brave face. Spencer went up to Melissa's room and saw the number of posters that were on her wall.

"Oh my god Melissa, you could've been more specific." Spencer said to herself once more.

Spencer began to push on all the posters one at a time. Knowing one of them would cave in do the pressure. About ten minutes pass and Spencer felt every poster in Melissa's room. As she walked of the bedroom, out of the corner of her eye there was one more poster. Oddly placed in the bathroom, she approached the weird looking picture. There was something different about this one, it was framed in a black wooden frame. Spencer took it down and found a lock safe behind it.

"Locked, really. Looks like a word activated lock. Now I'm talking to myself, thats not crazy at all." Spencer said.

The sound of Emily's voice alerted Spencer that two of the girls made it back.

"Spence?" Emily called out.

"Up stairs bathroom." Spencer replied.

The two joined Spencer up stairs and saw the safe that Spencer was staring at.

"What is that?" Alison asked.

"It's what Melissa wanted me to find, but its word activated. So theres a word or phrase we have to say to unlock it." Spencer answered.

"Well what is it?" Emily asked.

For the next thirty minutes the girls kept saying different words and phrases Melissa might have set the password to be. Hanna and Aria joined them and began to guess the password as well.

"I give up, we have tried everything." Spencer said.

"What happened to that whole Spencer Hastings furry?" Alison asked.

Suddenly ringings came out of no where and the safe quietly click open. The girls turned to Alison and then at the safe.

"Way to go Ali." Emily said.

Spencer picked up the safe and brought it down stairs to the living room. The girls all gathered around to see what was in side. Spencer pulled out a file marked "Birth Records of Bethany Young"

"Why would Melissa have that?" Aria asked.

Spencer slowly opened the file and began to read the information out loud.

"Name of child, Bethany Young."

"Oh my God ! Look at the photo at the bottom." Alison yelled.

"Is that..." Aria said.

"It can't be..." Emily interrupted.

"It is..." Hanna pointed out.

The girls all looked at Spencer to see what she was going to say about the photo. When Spencer found a younger picture of her family, all the girls gasped at the same person who in the Bethany Young file.

"Spencer please tell me thats not..." Alison began.

Spencer's mouth opened, but was only able to say one name. A name she was now terrified to say.

"Melissa."