Chapter 2 Part 1- Hunted

I awoke to see Kia laying on her bed, reading. "Good morning, Kia," I muttered. "Oh, hi Grell. Wanna come to breakfast?" she asked. "Sure, I have nothing better to do," I said. "Come," Kia commanded. 

   As we walked on the cobblestone path, Kia suddenly stopped. "Grell, do you hear that?" she asked, looking slightly tense. "I don't hear-" "SHHHHH," she hissed. All was silent except for a strange noise. It appeared to be coming from the bushes. "Stay back, Kia," I warned. 

      I slowly brushed through the bushes, feeling the markings on my arm start to tingle. I saw a shimmer of light bounce off of a small stone. I moved one of the bushes out of the way and bent over to pick up the crystal. I grabbed it and walked out from the bushes. "Kia, this seems to be the source of the noise," I explained. Looking alarmed, Kia grabbed it from my hand. "Grell, this is a portal shard. Someone's trying to open a portal," Kia whispered, looking alarmed. "But isn't that illegal?" I asked. "Yes, it is, and it's VERY dangerous. This could be from anywhere, Grell. And few people have the ability to open portals. The only people with the ability to open portals are Master Sadae and Master Menhu." 

   And suddenly, the day I lost my wings comes back. Except instead of running and terror, I'm looking out the window of my home as a rift begins to open up. And with a flash of light, I'm back to the present. "Kia, I have to go!" I shout. I snatch the portal crystal from her and begin frantically running as Kia chases after me. "Wait, Grell! What's going on?" she asked frantically. "There's no time to explain." 

   I ran to the headmaster's office with the crystal still in my hand.