Chapter 1

"Run! Go go go!!!" Yelled my commanding officer trying to get to the trenches as I followed close behind, hearing the screams and cries of my comrades falling around me. Gun fire was everywhere as we approached the trenches and as we see a terrifying sight as we neared them.
"Bloody hell," my commanding officer said as he stopped in his tracks staring into the face of death as we watched hundreds of Germans rush the trenches with their bayonets. He stood there watching the men he was supposed to command and lead being torn to shreds by countless strikes from bayonets and gun fire. He dropped to his knees as bullets whistle through the air around us.
"Don't stop! We are almost there! We can't just watch them die!" I screamed at the commander. He didn't budge. I don't know if I was brave or just stupid, maybe both, but I took off into the trenches bayonet at the ready and dove straight into the depths of hell. Left and right I thrusted my bayonet into the hearts and lungs of unsuspecting germans. Two germans spilled into the trench behind me, I pulled at my bayonet but it was stuck in the German I just killed. I pulled my pistol and shot and killed the both of them before they could get to me. I turned for my rifle and another German went for me with his bayonet. Catching me off guard I fell to the ground and grabbed hold of his rifle in a mad struggle to keep it from piercing my flesh but it wasn't working. I felt it slowly pierce the skin on my chest and I felt the blood slowly come out and drench the clothes on me. BANG. Is all I heard and the German dropped on his side.
"Get up! I'm not letting you die here let's go!" I heard and I turned to see the officer that had fallen to his knees before entering the trench. The pain in my side was excruciating but I got up and wrapped my side as best I could to stop the bleeding as much as I can. He tossed me the Germans rifle at me.
"Let's go son, you ain't dying here! Besides no one can kill an Aussie!"
I gripped the rifle, and followed him out of the trenches. Together we managed to clear most of the trenches on our side saving multiple soldiers. Two hours of bloodshed followed until finally the Mark V's came in and pushed the Germans back and eventually forced them to retreat. We won the battle that day losing more then we took. But we took the punishment and overcame the German powers that day. The next day came around and I woke up to even more pain in my side. The medics treated me when we reached the camp. They told me I was going to be in pain but I was going to live that the bayonet didn't pierce to deep and after they stitched me I was able to leave. I later came to know the name of that officer. He told me to call him Ricky. Ricky was a strange name in my opinion but I said ok. He asked for my name, I told him my name was Oliver. He said he liked the name. I didn't realize that this man Ricky would become my best friend. I was later regarded as a hero for my fearlessness in charging into the trenches and fighting the Germans head on. Saving many soldiers in the process. At the time it excited me to know that I was regarded as a hero. However, my outlook would soon change.