Chapter 1

Chapter 1

{Emerald}

"What's wrong with you Emerald? Why you not at work?"

"Gemmy how do you know that I'm not at work?" I asked my friend through the phone.

"Because I took time out of my busy schedule to bring breakfast to your office and you ain't there. That's foul lil mama." From the sound of his voice I could tell that he was a bit frustrated.

"I'm on my period Gemmy. My cramps are out of this world."

"Why do you think I bought you breakfast? I'll see you in ten." He said, hanging up the phone.

Gem and I go way back, hence the reason why he knows my cycle better than I do. I met him during freshman orientation back in college.

*** 

I lingered back from the group as we walked behind our campus tour guide. 

"Why you aint up there with the rest of the group?" A male voice asked me. 

"I don't like groups." I responded honestly. 

"You sound like me." He admitted. 

I turned around to face him. He was a big dude. Like a big teddy bear. 

"How are you an orientation leader if you don't like groups? Everything about today has been groups." I smirked. 

"I'm getting paid to do this so I don't mind." 

"So as long as you getting paid you good?"  I smiled. 

"Most definitely. Gotta have money to be this fly." He laughed as he brushed imaginary dirt off his shoulders.  

"Where's the flyness? I can't see it?" I joked. 

"Quit yo lyin' lil mama. You know I'm fly." 

"Whateverrrr." I said, playfully pushing him. 

"So fly you had to cop a free feel from ya boy." 

I sus-faced him. 

"You're too much." I said, shaking my head. 

"Nah, I'm just enough." 

We joked back and forth until the tour came to an end. Joking with him made the time fly and I couldn't complain. He was a cool guy. 

"So I guess I'll see you around?"  I said to him. I looked at my watch because I didn't want to miss my bus. 

"Here take my number. I know you gon be lost once the semester starts." He laughed. 

"You know what, you probably right." I giggled as I handed him my phone. 

"I sent myself a text so I got you. Be safe lil mama. Let me know you got home."