Chapter 2

Chapter 2

{Emerald}

After Gemmy left I found myself feeling a bit better. But, his comment about going home to an empty bed bothered me. True, I love Gemmy. He makes me feel safe and cared for. I know that as long as he's in my life I'll want for nothing. But, I'm in this situation with Kenneth that is hard for me to let go of. I mean while cuddling isn't Kenneth's favorite thing and he's inconsiderate sometimes, that doesn't make him a totally bad person. Just like bad moments in a day doesn't mean your whole day was bad.

As I began to cleanup the containers that Gemmy brought over, I heard a knock at the door.

I looked through the window and saw Kenneth. I haven't given him a key to my house because I don't have a key to his.

I had texted him earlier but I didn't think he would actually pull up.

"Hey, baby." I greeted him with a smile.

"What's up sweetheart? How you feeling?" He said pulling me in for a hug.

"Better for the moment." I said as I finished throwing the trash out.

"You went out for food this morning?" He asked me when I came back in to the living room.

I sat in the recliner across from him. "No, Gemini brought me some samples from the restaurant."

"Oh he adding stuff to the menu?"

"Yeah. He's adding a small breakfast menu so he wanted me to try some flavors for French toast." I told him.

"That sounds pretty dope. Aye, come over here with that blanket." he said, taking me by surprise.

I walked over to where he was seated and sat on his lap. He released the recliner and adjusted himself so that we were comfortable.

"Just because I don't like cuddling, that don't mean I won't."

"I didn't say anything."

"You were thinking it though."

I smiled and buried my face in his chest. "What are you doing here in the middle of the day?"

"I wanted to watch Judge Mathis with you." He chuckled, massaging my scalp. Kenny had a thing for playing in my hair.

"Quit playing Kenny!" I laughed.

"Naw, forreal I owe you this. I did you dirty on Saturday and that wasn't cool. I'm sorry Emerald."

"Don't worry about it."

"Naw, I gotta worry about it. I can't keep letting Gemini save the day. A nigga gon be out of a job. It aint no secret that he feeling you more than just a friend."

I remained silent.

"Speak up. I know you vented to Gemini. Let me know how I can fix it."

"I just feel like you should take my feelings into consideration more. Because, like, you knew I was ready to go but you ignored me. I mean even if you didn't want to leave, you could've still made sure I was cool. Like, "Baby here's the keys, Ill catch a ride home" or "Let me get you an Uber and call me when you get home". You didn't do none of that Kenny."

"But baby you was already with Gemini. Why didn't you just leave?"

I looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "Because I know you. You woulda had a fit if I woulda left without you knowing."

He began to laugh.

"You laughin because you know it's true. And you cursed at me and you know I don't like that. " I pouted.

"I'm sorry baby." He kissed me softly. "I'll do better, I promise."

"And Gemini is not my man. You are. You can't rely on Gemmy to pick up where you slack off."

"I understand baby. I'm taking in all that you're saying and I'll apply it moving forward."

"You betta." I said, pecking him on his lips.

{Gemini}

"What's wrong with you Gia?"

My little sister just sat with her arms folded in the front seat of my truck. She stared ahead blankly not acknowledging my question.

"You know I go to hell and back for you and this is the thanks I get? You at school fighting over no good ass niggas. These niggas ain't got nothing to offer you but, a minute of what you think is pleasure. And when that minute of pleasure turns into eighteen years of heartache what you gon do?"

"I guess we'll see." She muttered.

I froze and turned my head toward her.

"What did you just say?"

"I'm pregnant, Gemmy." She said, holding her head high.

"And you cool with that? You're ready to change diapers and stay up all night with a crying baby while you finish up high school and apply to college?" I asked her.

"I don't have a choice now do I?"

"Don't smart mouth me Gia. Your ungrateful ass should be sitting there praying that I'll help you. You ain't got nobody Gia! Dad is dead, mom is a fucking alcoholic, and I guarantee your baby daddy is in denial. I'm all you have! So give me a reason to stick by your side through the bullshit decision that you made. I ain't got no kids so why should I be tied down with someone else's baby? Give me a fucking reason, Gia!"

"Quit yelling at me Gemini! You think I wanted this? You and I had already talked about me going to Spelman. Getting out of the hood and doing better. But think about the situation I'm in. Between taking care of mom and getting straight A's in school, I have no time to think about myself. No one's sitting there actually caring about me. I'm not downplaying you Gemmy but you don't have all the time in the world to give to me. You already gave up your childhood taking care of me. So, when I thought a dude actually cared about me and my infatuation led to being alone with him I jumped on the opportunity. I thought I was safe because we used protection but I guess it didn't work. So now I have a life growing inside of me. I won't fail this baby. It didn't ask to be conceived. I have to do what I have to do."

"You right."

That's all I could manage to say.