Chapter 2

Suzette got up the next morning, rubbing her eye and yawning. She fed her calico cat and dressed in a lavender blouse and a mauve pencil skirt. She pulled on her heels and grabbed her keys. Suzette then closed and locked her house and headed off to work.

---

Suzette barely had time to grab a cup of black coffee and take a seat in her office before Mercy knocked on the door.

"Yeah, come in." Suzette said gruffly, before downing half the cup of coffee and wishing it was expresso.
"Hey Suzette, Lex wants you to work in the lab with him today." Mercy informed her.
"Okay, thanks for letting me know. I'll head down." Suzette nodded.

Mercy left. Suzette grabbed a lab coat off her coat rack, putting it on and going down to the lab. Once she arrived, she saw Lex smiling at her in pure excitement, standing next to a sheet covered body.

"Hey boss, what are we doing today?" Suzette asked nonchalantly, eyeing the body.
"Suzette, I've asked you a hundred times to please just call me Lex." Lex huffed.
"Sorry boss." Suzette automatically replied, and then laughed.
"So today, my dear, we are going to be dissecting.." he tore the sheet off the body to reveal...
...Zod!

Suzette's eye widened, and she stumbled back.
"That was a living person!"
"No, he was a living alien. He killed people, darling."
"How could you?! Should I expect the same treatment when I die?!" Suzette's voice raised an octave.
"Suzie, darling, you're different, you know that!" Lex tried to calm her.

Suzie. Suzie. Suzie.

"Don't call me that." She snarled.

Lex appeared surprised.

"My apologies, Suzette. I didn't mean to offend you." He offered, bowing his head.
"It's..it's fine," Suzette muttered. "Can I please be excused?" She asked tiredly.
"Certainly."

---

Suzette used her lunch break to go to the park, where she fed the ducks pieces of squished sourdough. One of the babies quacked loudly at her, and bit her finger. Suzette cursed quietly.

"They're a bit finicky, those ducklings." A familiar voice laughed.
"Hey Clark." Suzette greeted, turning to look a the reporter.
"Hey yourself. What are you doing here? Finally quit working for the man?" He joked.
"Not a chance. Just taking my lunch break." Suzette replied coolly.

Clark considered this, and took a seat beside her.

"So how about that interview? First one with a metahuman!" He cheered.

Metahuman. Alien. Zod.

"I don't think so. I'll see you later, Clark." Suzette abruptly rejected him and left the park, leaving a very confused reporter behind.

When she got to the office again, she sighed.

Mercy was running up to her.

"Yes, Mercy?" She asked, a slight edge in her voice.
"Lex wants you in his office. Like now." She told Suzette.
"Okay, thank you." Suzette sighed.

Mercy walked away, her wine colored dress swishing.

Suzette groaned quietly and started walking towards Lex's office.

---

"...so in conclusion, I hope you can accept my apology." Lex concluded.
"Seriously, boss, its fine." Suzette insisted.
"Lex."
"Right."
"No, really, why won't you call me Lex?" Her employer asked.
"It's just a touch too intimate for me." Suzette excused.
"Are you kidding?" Lex laughed. "Everyone calls me that."