The Mansion

It was the beginning of June. My fianće had decided to buy a new home for us in London as I had been teaching English literature at a reputed school in the outskirts of London and he wanted me to stay close to my workplace. Robert, who was my fianće, had been living in France for his job and he wanted to find a job in London so that we could live together after marriage as soon as possible and for this we had to find a suitable home for us.

I had been searching for almost three weeks but couldn't find it so far until one day, I was reading a newspaper in my school library and saw an add. It was about an old mansion that was on sale but it was on half an hour away from where we were searching for a house. I immediately took out my phone and took a snapshot of the advertisement.

Rob! You gotta see this..I showed the picture to my fianće on skype. It's amazing. I already called the seller of this house and you know what? It is bang for buck.

"Hmm! Interesting." He said.

"It's an old mansion actually. Built about 500 years ago. The previous owner bought it in a bid. Now, he is leaving the country and wants to urgently sell it. I think that's why he is selling it for such a cheap price." I said relaxing my back on the chair.

"But first you have to go there and see it for yourself Nora. I want you to do this for me babe. I can't come right now you know." He shrugged.

"But I wanted you to come and help me out. You said you'll come here to assist me. That's not fair." I looked away angrily.

"Nora. Nora my love. Please try to understand. I can't take any day off right now. My boss will kill me. You know I have already taken ten days off due to my illness." He made an innocent face to explain and got my heart melted.

"Ok! But promise that you'll come to see it soon." I asked.

"Ok babe! Soon. I promise." He winked.

"So let me go tomorrow to take a look and let's see what happens." I waved him goodbye and closed the laptop. Soon I went to sleep.

The next day was saturday and my school was off so I drove half an hour to the mentioned address.

It was a deserted area with less than 20 houses. I pulled over infront of a huge iron gate. I could see the pathway leading to a really big old victorian mansion. It was massive. More bigger than my expectations. I opened the gate slightly and it made a squealing sound.

Then I saw a man who was probably a real estate agent.
I walked towards him. He was leaning against his car.

"Hi! I'm Miss Nora James." I extend my hand to him for a handshake.

"Robinson here!. Let me show you inside." He said while shaking my hand.

"Sure."I said.

"After you." He said and waved for me to go inside.

When I stepped inside I felt a cold gust of wind. Like somebody turned on an airconditioner.

"Brrrr! It's really cold in here." I said while rubbing my arms with my hands.

It was really an exquisite mansion. Beautifully built with wood. Almost all of the insides were wooden and it felt really cosy.

 Almost all of the insides were wooden and it felt really cosy

"It doesn't look that old to me from inside

"It doesn't look that old to me from inside." I turned to the dealer.

"It's been taken care of very well actually. The previous owner was very conscious about the cleanliness and maintenance." The dealer said taking off his hat and holding it in his hand.

I could see he was a bald man in his mid forties.

"Hmm. Good. The price is very reasonable for such a big mansion I must say." I said while walking around and looking with an aww expression.

My feet came to a halt near a big painting of a boy who was hung on a wall.

"Who is he?" I asked turning around to look at the agent.

"Ah! He-He was Count Albert." He replied.
"The son of the 1st owner of this mansion."
(He continued).
"This painting is about 450 years old when he was 17. He died at a young age of 20. I don't know why its been hung here? I think the previous owner brought it here again from the attic. There are more of his paintings in the attic." He told me leaning against a corner table.

"So sad. Do you know how he died?" I asked pointing towards the painting.

"Well. I don't know exactly what happened to him. But it was said that a lightening bolt hit him when he was going after his fianće who left him on a stormy night." He explained.

"I see. Alas! its really sad. He was gone to soon. Such a handsome young man he was." I sighed.

"Well I'm interested in buying this mansion. Its kind of my taste". I said while touching a corner of the painting.

"Ehm ehm." He coughed. "Ma'am! May I ask something?" He asked.

"Yes." I replied while my eyes glued on the painting. It was like I was spell bound.

"Why would a girl like you live in such a big house all alone?" He asked. "I am just curious you know."

"No. Actually. I'm not alone. I am engaged and my fianće is buying me this house. Soon he will fine a decent job here and we will be married and he will be here with me." I replied with a smile.

"Oh! Ok. Now I got it. Shall we have the paperwork done then?"He asked.

"Yes. But first, let me call my fianće. Let's see what he says." I took out my cell phone and dialled his number.

"After 10 minutes of explaining to him I got my answer. Rob! You'll love it. I promise." I told him.

"Ok! I will soon come and see." He said.

"Yes Rob! It's really a good deal and value for money." I chuckled.

"Ok. As you say. Love you."

"love you too. Goodbye." I hung up.

I was feeling like the happiest person ever. The house was really amazing and comfortable. I was happy because Now I don't have to live in that small bizzare flat. I was really excited and wanted to move in as soon as possible.

I started to pack and made all arrangements for the shifting. I couldn't wait anymore and wanted to move in as soon as soon as possible.

Continued...