Part 21

Andrew was right, it was a boring story. He told me how his father had been talking to some big business man in California about building a new upscale restaurant over there. When the plans were set into motion, Mr. Miller moved out to California with Andrew. Apparently Andrew's dad and my dad had talked about his moving out there, but my father had never said anything to us.

I guess I could kind of understand since my father was going through a rough patch in his life, with the all the tests and doctors and such.When the Miller's made it to California, Andrew's dad immediately starting working to get his restaurant up and running. Within the next few months business was booming and the restaurant was expanded. Several new places were opened, Mr. Miller started investing in other things, and the rest is history. I guess over the years I'd worked up some big theory in my head as to why they had left, when it was actually quite simple. I had always wondered why my father had never really said anything about them leaving, and I now knew he knew all along. When he was done explaining we stood for a while not really saying anything. I wasn't entirely sure what I was supposed to say about it all, so I just told him what he had told me. "You're right. It was boring."

Andrew turned to look at me, a small grin on his lips. "Yeah?"

I nodded and took a sip of my cream soda a small smile on my face, too. "It wasn't that long of a story, though."

"Well, at least I didn't bore you for long then." Andrew laughed. I felt his gaze on me as I tilted my head back and downed the rest of my cream soda. I slid my hand across my mouth as I brought my empty bottle down and shot a shy glance at Andrew. He laughed when he saw my blushing cheeks, "Thirsty?"

I lifted my shoulder, "Just a lot."

"Come on, let's go in." we stepped away from the railing and Andrew led the way back inside. "I could go for some coffee, you want some?" he asked as we entered the kitchen.

"Coffee is always good." I nodded and rested on the same bar stool as before. Andrew went about preparing a fancy looking coffee maker and a couple black mugs. "I remember you used to drink coffee all the time when we were younger. I used to think you were crazy for drinking that stuff." He chuckled.

"My mom used to tell me I would get wrinkles and look old, so I wouldn't drink it anymore. But I kept drinking it." I rested my arms on the top of the bar in front of me.

Andrew finished making the coffee and handed me a cup. We lapsed into silence for a while, both of us sipping our steaming coffees cautiously, glancing at each other occasionally with small smiles.

Finally Andrew set his cup aside and looked at me. "So, how'd you get here, again?" He ventured. "You were balling about someone being a detective, but not a detective?"

I too set my mug down and flipped my dark hair over my shoulder with a brief chuckle. "Uh, yeah. My friend, Mariah-"

"Ah, yes. Mariah, the girl from the school dance." He remembered.

"Yes, her. She figured out where you were and told me. Not that I wanted her to originally, but she did." I sighed. "And now I'm here."

"So it was a good thing she told where I was." He stated, though his voice rose at the end as if it was a question.

"You could say that," I half-shrugged, trying to hide the smile I felt tugging at my lips.

Andrew grinned, watching me. I shifted uncomfortably under his intense gaze, I lifted the hair off my neck and averted my gaze. "You want to do something tonight?" He asked suddenly.

I brought my eyes back to his, my stomach clenched, excited, at his words.

"Something? Like what?" I asked, suddenly glad today was my day off from the store.

He shrugged, "I think there's a party tonight at Jack's."

The excited feeling left my stomach swiftly and I deflated a bit. "Oh, a party? Its a school night."

"Yes, a school night. Haven't you been to a party on a school night?" He paused and his eyes brightened as he thought of something. "Or are you still a dedicated do good student?"

I felt myself stiffen at his jab, quickly reminding me of Riley. "I have, I just don't like being out too late on school nights is all."

Andrew heard the tenseness in my voice and revised. "Just one time. We can hang out, like old times."

"We never went to parties in the 'old times'." I replied. Andrew opened his mouth to say something, but I cut him off. "But I'll go. I just need to go home and change. I'll be back." And check on my mom and the house, I added to myself.

"Yeah, sure. We can leave here around eight and go together." He told me.

"Okay," I said getting up from the counter.

Andrew guided me back to the front door and let me out.

I was going down the steps when Andrew called my name. I turned back to face him. He was standing by the door, leaning against it. "Remember that time we tried to get in that senior Ray's party?"

I smiled remembering our failed attempted. A few senior football players saw us

inside the house and quickly "ushered" us out of there. I honestly don't know why we thought us middle schoolers at a senior party wouldn't be noticed.

I nodded and a huge grin spread across his face. "That was a disaster."

"It was." I laughed.

***

"I am having a very proud-happy best friend moment right now!" Mariah screeched at

me.

I held the phone away from my ear, trying to protect my sensitive eardrum. "I

honestly thought you were going to trash those papers and never go see him!" She

continued. "Aren't you glad I found it?"

I sighed pausing at a stop sign before going again. "Sure, Mariah. Thank you,

I'm eternally grateful."

"Eternity is a long time." She teased, the excitement never left her voice.

"Yeah, well. Look, I'm at my house. I need to get ready, I'll see you in a

little bit." I pulled up in my drive and shut off the engine.

"Okay! Bye, girl!" She sung gleefully.

I got out and went up into the house. After a quick survey of the place, I found

it to be empty. No surprise there.

I glanced at the kitchen clock. Only an hour and I had to be back at Andrew's.

I wasn't too excited about the venue, parties weren't exactly my thing.

If it was anyone's in family, it was Riley's.