Part 22

Once again Jack's huge house amazed me. I didn't see how a someone so young could own such a nice place. I guess that's what you get for being the son of some millionaire?

What amazed me a little more was the amount of people stuck in that place.

Didn't anyone worry about the fact that they had to be at school the next day? Or did they even go to school still? I added mentally as I saw a middle aged woman to my right trying to pass as a teen. Not a very pretty sight.

Andrew touched my arm and motioned for me to follow him. We wound our way through the people to a less crowded area where a group of guys were playing some pool. Andrew walked over to them and a guy not to much older than us looked up at him and grinned. "Andrew, my man!" He rested his que on the table and reached out for Andrew's hand.

"What's up Jack?" He greeted, pulling the other guy, Jack, into a bro-hug.

"I didn't think you'd show up tonight." Jack pulled back.

"Change of plans." Andrew told him. I stood back watching them talk.

Suddenly I felt a hand grab my wrist and I spun around to see a bright eyed Mariah.

"What are you doing?" She whispered loudly at me.

"Hello to you too my dear friend." I replied with a tinge of sarcasm then added, "I'm standing here?"

Mariah's wide eyes glared at me. "Exactly! Why aren't you over there talking to him?"

I looked over my shoulder and saw Andrew do the same for a brief moment. I turned back to Mariah. "Because he's busy with his friends."

Mariah rolled her eyes. "Didn't he invite you?" I nodded. "So you should be with him!" Mariah looked like she was going to say more, but stopped and glanced over my shoulder. Her scowl quickly transforming into a smile. I followed her gaze and found Andrew coming up to stand at my shoulder. "Hey, I'm going to get a drink, do you want anything?" He moved his eyes up to Mariah and smiled. "Hi, Mariah, right?"

She nodded, her lips pulled tight into a smile. "Yes. That's me!" She replied after a moment.

I looked away from her beaming to Andrew, "Sure, I'll take a drink if there's anything non-alcholic."

He nodded and looked at Mariah, "Do you want anything?"

She shook her head, still grinning wildy. "I'm okay, thanks."

He set off to find the drinks and Mariah wiggled my arm still in her grasp. "He's so sweet!"

"Uh, sure." I laughed shaking my head at her antics. "How'd you get here tonight? Your mom never let's you go out on school nights." I asked her before she could go on about Andrew.

Mariah let go of my hand and dropped hers at her side. "I told her I was coming over to your house because we had some big test thing tomorrow that you're my partner for."

I raised my eyebrows. "And she bought it?"

"It took a considerable amount of begging." She told me crossing her arms in front of her. "But it wasn't all lies. We do have a big test tomorrow, we are partners in a class, and we do need to study. At least I do anyways." She added hastily.

I squinted at her and she shrugged. "Where's Rick?" I asked.

Again she shrugged. "He appearantly had some game yesterday and this afternoon, so he's 'wiped out'" she air quoted. "I swear sometimes he is such a baby. I mean I do a lot more things than he does and you never see me complaining about it! I'm up all-" her rant was cut off by a loud commotion coming from across the room. A large group of people were clumping together around something. Something loud. I heard shouting. One voice sounded very familiar.