Fifteenth Entry - A Sundering of Worlds

Legolas was crying. He so rarely cried, so we lay on Thranduil's and my bed as though having the smell of him could help us pretend he wasn't gone. Nothing I said or sang encouraged him to stop, so we just lay there together, having nothing better we could rouse ourselves to do.

"Yes, I know," I sighed down to where he lay across my stomach, perpendicular to the rest of me. "A boy needs his father. You'll have him back, love, I promise."

He only whimpered again, clutching at the ribbon of my dress.

I squeezed my eyes shut. "Whatever it takes, I promise."

A fluttering thump against our window made me flinch, and I settled Legolas against my hip, hastening to open the window. A pigeon fluttered in and landed on my wrist, flapping to stay balanced since there was little room for him to perch there, with Legolas. I adjusted my grip on our son to make room for the bird, and unwound the slip from its ankle. It glided down to preen on the windowsill, and I held the scrap up spread over my fingertips, tilting my head down and to the right, trying to find the precise angle at which I could somewhat still see.

Septimal Tower: orc legions surrounding.

My entire body lurched.

Septimal Tower was only days away. Thranduil had left only days ago. But one rider could travel faster than an army, I may still catch them, call them home. Not knowing what yet lay in Gundabad he had taken more of his forces than we usually considered safe.

We were no longer safe here.

I called to the bird. Then I screamed, "Milia!"

Running feet, and the door to our bedroom opened. "What is it, Nelide, what's wrong?"

I laid Legolas in the middle of our bed. "Take this." I thrust the slip of paper at her. "Write on it exactly as I say with the ink in the top left drawer of my vanity."

She scrambled. "I've got it."

"Septimal Tower: orc legions advancing inward. Today's date and the time from an hour ago."

"Finished!"

"Give it to the bird." I was already tearing at my clothes, the ribbons and ties of the gown. "It will take it to Thranduil. Help me change. Take Legolas to my mother."

Milia's hands raced over my clothes, freeing me. While I yanked on a shirt, vest and trousers, she tightly braided my hair in my usual crown. "Are you leaving any messages?"

"Tell the advisors about the tower. The orcs are known for shooting our birds so we need to ensure he gets the message. His bird will find me if it does reach him, and I can come home."

I froze with both hands braced in the doorway, dressed and outfitted as I hadn't been in decades, and closed my eyes, bowing my head.

Nelide? I heard Milia murmur in concern, though her voice never truly reached me. I was suddenly too far away.

Only one thing stopped me from going immediately to Thranduil's side. One thing, one decision to make, which held me locked in the doorway, wasting these precious seconds which could cost us both our lives. And it wasn't Legolas.

It was something only Thranduil and I knew. Someone whose life I felt I had no right to risk.

But when it came down to a choice between saving them, whoever they may be, and may never become, and saving everyone else Thranduil and I named under our protection because of the crowns we wore?