Otaku Terminology Dictionary

A

-Ahoge: 「あほげ」[ah-ho-geh] Literally means “foolish/stupid hair.” Refers to a length of hair that sticks out from the top of the head of an anime or manga character. It is not to be confused with hair antennae.

Examples of characters with ahoge include Edward Elric from “Fullmetal Alchemist” and Konata from “Lucky Star.

-Akihabara: 「秋葉原」[ah-kee-hah-bah-rah] Also known as “Akiba” it is the “electric town” of Japan and is one of the largest areas in the world for electronics, games, and otaku merchandise.

-Akiba-kei: 「アキバケイ」[ah-kee-bah-kay] Literally means “Akihabara style.” Refers to young men or women who spend much of their time in Akihabara. Can also be used to refer to otaku in general.

-AMV: or Animated/Anime Music Video. A type of unofficial music video (fan created), to popular Anime and Music that are usually edited to sync the video clips with the chosen music or sound clips. A popular, and one of my favorite, examples would be AMV Hell.

-AMV Hell: Internet phenomenon. A series of five AMVs, parodying commercials, movies, and anime. The most well known is "AMV Hell 3: The Motion Picture", an hour long.

-Aniki: big brother, usually used by thugs or gangsters.

-Anime: A style of animation developed in Japan, characterized by stylized colorful art and often adult themes.

-Aniparo Literally, "anime parody"—anime characters being used by fans in a parodic way

-Ansatsuken: Literally "assassination fist", is a Japanese neologism used frequently in fictional works to describe any martial art style or fighting technique that has been developed with the purpose of killing an opponent.

-Arigatou: thank you

-Aishiteru: i love you

B

-Baba: Old woman, grandma or wise.

-Bakemono: Monster

-Bara: also known as the wasei-eigo construction "Mens' Love" or ML, is a Japanese jargon term for a genre of art and fictional media that focuses on male same-sex love and desire, usually created by and for gay men.

-Baka: Idiot/Moron/Fool

-Bijin: Beautiful person (woman)

-Bishojo: Opposite of Bishonen, beautiful female heartthrob character, usually in a Shojo-genre manga.

-Bishonen: Male heartthrob character, usually in a Shojo-genre manga.

-BL: Boy's Love

-(blank): Advanced honorific, when an honorific is left out, it shows the speaker has permission to address the person in such a way, this is usually only between families and the closest of friends, it shows the highest form of honor, however, when permission has not been granted, it can be highly disrespectful.

-"[Blank] never exsisted": A common phrase used when a off shoot or season of a show is so bad that you wish it never existed. Ex. The second season of Minami-Ke was never made. Ex. 2 The 4 kids version of ANY anime was never made, rumors have around but they never popped up. O_O NEVER!

-Boke: receives most of the verbal and physical abuse from the "smart" tsukkomi because of the boke's misunderstandings and slip-ups.

-Boku no Pico: A show you should NEVER EVER WATCH! NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE TELLS YOU!