Fifth Grade

Your birthday party, was one of my favorite memories- which I can't really say, because it seems like every memory with you in it is my favorite.

I'm not going to write about the whole party because, I was so sugar crashed at the end of it I barely remember anything else.

Here's what I do remember;

Me, being your best friend at the time, slept over the night before the party.

We were bundled up in our cocoons of blankets and sheets, and I thought for sure you were asleep- I remember wanting to turn to my side because I was getting uncomfortable, but not because I didn't want to wake you up.

"Ryan?" You had asked. You're voice wasn't warmed up, so it was more of a loud mumble. "You're not gonna... leave right? Like when we're older? We're always going to be friends... right?"

Your voice was so, childlike, yet really, emotional.

"What kind of question is that? Is getting older really making you stupid already?"

"Next i'll like the taste of coffee!" you giggled.

"I don't think I could be friends with anybody who could like coffee."

After that there was no conversation, and this time I listened for you to fall asleep before I whispered

"Of course i'll never leave you, Dumbass"

And I swear to God, before slipping out of consciousness, I heard you say,

"back at you, Dickhead."

Seems like such a little memory huh? Why would it be my favorite?

That was the first time you admitted you cared about me.