(1) Raising Madison (The third book in the 'The girl in the attic trilogy')

Raising Madison

Chapter 1

Preston’s POV

I looked over to where Madison was playing and smiled to myself. She is a happy here, living with my parents but soon we are going to be moving. I just hope she adjusts well to our new place. I had moved back in with my parents after Katie died two years ago. It was difficult leaving River creek but I had to do it for Madison. I had no idea how to look after a baby and my parents offered to help. They’ve been really great, putting me through college and helping with Madie.

I studied business and in exactly one week I am stating my new job. It’s not what I’ve always dreamed of doing but I found that I am good at it. I was still going to be studying while I work, it was kind of like being an apprentice but with lots of money which worked for me. Now don’t get e wrong, I know life isn’t about material things but I want to be able to look after my baby and give her everything she wants and needs.

She reminds me so much of Katie with her big brown eyes and reddish blonde curls. She is beautiful and clever and sometimes just looking at her causes me to cry.

“Pappa!” she yelled as she ran up to me with a teddy bear in her hand.

“Yes?” I replied, getting up from where I was sitting and lifting her up into my arms. I spun her around a few time, causing her to laugh.

”Come play,” she said, looking at me with her big eyes and I had to gulp back my tears.

She was still way too young to understand anything but when she is older I will tell her all about her mommy and how much she loved her.

I put her down and followed her over to a bunch of toys that were lying on the ground. I sat down and picked up a doll but she took it from me and handed me the teddy, making me smile.

“Preston!” I heard my mom call from downstairs and immediately knew what was going on. She was starting to work again too, not because she had to but because she decided that she wanted to contribute to the community or something like that. I honestly just think she got bored of sitting at home and watching Madie the whole day. I’m not mad at her for wanting to get back to working though. It is time for Madie to start mixing with other kids anyway and I think going to a day care centre will be good for her. Of course I am nervous at the idea of leaving her there but I will just have to deal with it.  I would like to spend every second of every day with her if I could but I know that is impossible.

I picked Madie up into my arms and made my way downstairs. I was in the process of interviewing babysitters, knowing that at some point I am probably going to have to go somewhere and my mom was going to be working and I was going to need somebody to watch Madie. I’ve already seen a few, some young and some old but I haven’t found one I liked yet. They all said the right things but Madie didn’t seem to be comfortable with them and that’s the most important thing to me.

“Hi, sorry to keep you waiting,” I said as I walked into the living room with Madie on my hip. A young girl was standing there and I watched as a confused expression washed over her face as she looked at me. She quickly covered it up with a smile and walked over to us.

“Hi, I’m Brooklyn,” she said, holding her hand out to me. I shook it hesitantly and then watched as she turned her attention to Madie.

”Why don’t I take you for a while so that Daddy can have a break?” she asked Madie, holding her arms out to her and to my surprise Madie went to her willingly. I couldn’t help but smile, this is the first person Madie has actually chosen to go to, the others all had to pry her away from me.

Brooklyn walked over to a couch and sat down with Madie on her lap.

“What’s her name?” she asked, looking up at me

“Madison but we call her Madie,” I replied, taking a seat myself.

“She’s adorable,” Brooklyn sated and then continued playing with Madie who seemed completely happy.

I asked her a few question and then made my decision. She was perfect for the job, or so I hope. She is still very young, only eighteen and busy with her final year at school but Madie seem to like her and like I said, that is what matter the most. She gave me a few references as well that I could phone if I wanted to. Apparently she’s been babysitting since she started high school and absolutely loves kids. She wants to study as a paediatrician once she finishes school so that she can continue working with kids and help them at the same time.

She is also incredibly friendly and upbeat which was a plus. I don’t want Madie to be stuck with some uptight woman who won’t play with her. I want somebody who will take proper care of Madie but be a friend to her too.

“It won’t be a permanent job, just when I can’t leave work in time or need to do something,” I stated as Brooklyn handed Madie back to me.

“No problem, you’ve got my number.  You can call me whenever you need me,” she replied smiling happily.