Chapter 1

"Brynn! Get in here!" I looked at the clock; just after 5 p.m. I'm probably not in trouble, dinner is usually done around this time. Also, contrary to poplar belief, Brynn is not short for anything.

I turn off my computer and head downstairs.

"Hey Brynn." It's my best friend, Olivia. she's at my house almost every day, and I wouldn't change that if I could. "Hey, Liv, what's up?"

She was clearly jittery and excited. She said, "Girl, we need to talk!" That is one of the worst things anyone can say to me.  I hate it, I feel like I'm being broken up with, even though Liv is just a friend. "What's it about," I asked nervously. "I'll tell you upstairs."

We began to go upstairs when mom said, "Girls dinner is ready. Why don't you eat in your room tonight?" We never get to eat in my room. My eyes widened and I raised an eyebrow confused. "Mom, are you sure? It's okay, we can eat down here." Mom replied with, "Go have fun girls."

I don't know why mom is suddenly letting us leave the table. In all of my 16 and a half years she's never let us eat dinner somewhere other than the table.  As far as breakfast and lunch go we usually eat wherever. It's just dinner we must eat at the table.

Then, it dawned on me... Where's dad? He's always home for dinner. "Mom, where's dad?" She looked at me and sighed, "He is staying at the hospital. Grandma is sick." Concerned, I ask, "Will she be okay?" "I don't know. She's getting old," mom almost cries, then walks away.

I'm not that close to grandma, but my father is. They talked on the phone about 5 times a day.

"Let's go, Liv." When we got upstairs Liv shut the door. She almost jumped out of her chair as she said, "A little birdy told me you and Connor are a thing." I rolled my eyes at her and she smirked and raised a brow.

"Come on, Liv. Jerk isn't my type." Right about the time I said that, I got a text from an unknown number.

"Not your type, huh?" I rolled my eyes at her and said, "I don't even know who it is. They apparently know me though. They asked if it is Brynn. Do I say yes?"

"What's the number? I'll search for it in my contacts." I showed liv the number and she gave me an odd look. "I thought he wasn't your type?"

I rolled my eyes and said, "I didn't give him my number. We can still be friends." "Friends," Liv said with air quotes, continuing with, "Why didn't you say something!?"

"I didn't know anything 'til now. That's why." We continued to eat our dinner, then started a movie. During the movie Connor and I texted back and forth.

Around 8:30 I realized it was Sunday and we have school tomorrow. "Liv are you staying the night?"

"When do I ever come over and not stay the night? I practically live here." We laughed.

The movie went off about 8:45, and I told Connor goodnight. He replied with "Goodnight beautiful. See you tomorrow😘."

I sat there, staring at it blankly. What is this feeling? More importantly why am I feeling it? I feel the heat in my cheeks, along with the rising butterflies. I know deep down in my gut that I should feel disgust, but I can't.

I suddenly noticed Liv was looking over my shoulder, and I locked my screen. "Jerk isn't your type, huh?" I said, "Liv, come on, he said it,not me."

"You're blushing." That's it. I am out of things to say. "Go to bed, Olivia," I rolled my eyes and laughed.

The next day I put on my favorite dress, and pulled a cream colored cardigan sweater over it.

"Combat boots or wedges?" I held up both pair of shoes. "Why are you dressed up," she smirked.