Countdown

This is a soulmate A.U. where you have a clock on your wrist that counts down to the time you will meet your soulmate. I take no credit for the original idea, just the story I write.

I frowned as my alarm clock beeped its familiar tone, signaling the start of another day. But today was different. I grinned and pulled the sleeve of my pajama shirt down to expose the countdown clock on my wrist. It read a mere 8 hours, 27 minutes, and 15 seconds. I jumped out of bed. I searched my closet for something to wear. My mom had worn a black dress with blue sleeves, but I wanted to go with a style that was slightly more casual. I wanted my soulmate, whoever they were, to know the real me when I met them. I decided on a t-shirt with the words 'books make me happy you not so much' printed on it. I also had on a pair of blue jeans with holes in the knees and a pair of white converse.

About 20 minutes later, I was walking out the door. I had no idea where I was heading as I pulled out of the driveway in my car. I just felt inexplicably pulled in a direction. So I followed my gut feeling. I drove for about 15 minutes. I ended up at the library. I smiled. So my soulmate liked books as well? I could tell I was going to like them.

I glanced at my wrist nervously while I browsed the rows. The clock now read 6 hours, 53 minutes, and 47 seconds. I bit my lip. I loved the library. But the longer I had to wait, the more nervous I got. I had already waited 20 years. I guess I could wait a few hours, but the anticipation was killing me.

I aimlessly picked up books, reading the descriptions and then putting them back. I was biding my time, lost in my thoughts. What was my soulmate going to be like? Would they be tall? Have long hair or short hair? What would their hobbies be? Did they have a career? How old were they?

I glanced at my wrist again, scratching at the skin around the countdown. 1 hour, 2 minutes, and 30 seconds. I smiled. I couldn't wait to meet my soulmate. I had spent do much time in this library over my life. I could remember walking through the rows as a child, picking up books and hugging them close. I could remember falling in love with the scent of the pages and the glue and the ink. I remembered becoming friends with the people that worked here, and getting tours of the building. I had grown up in this library. It only made sense that I would fall in love here.

Putting the book I had in my arms back on the shelf, where it belonged. Smiling again, I felt a pull towards the small cafe in the library. I ordered my usual caramel latte, and sat down. I pulled out my phone and began scrolling through Tumblr. I smirked at the occasional funny post, and even shared a story or two on some. Out of habit, I glanced at my wrist. 0 hours, 0 minutes, and 45 seconds. I inhaled sharply. I wasn't ready for this. I felt my breaths get shallower as I watched my hands shake. A few people glanced at me sideways, not understanding the anxiety and panic flowing through my vanes. A tear escaped my eye as I watched the number of seconds get smaller and smaller.

20....
15....
10...
9
8
7
6
5
4
3
2
1

I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked up. A girl in shorts and a Panic! at the Disco t-shirt smiling at me. She had a bleached blond pixie cut, and a golden brown tan that made her look absolutely angelic. Her eyes were as brown as fresh soil from a garden, or the bark on a tree. I glanced at her wrist. 0 hours, 0 minutes, and 0 seconds. She reached up and put a hand on my face, wiping my tear away with her thumb.

"I guess you're my soulmate, then." She laughed at the incredulous circumstance of it all. Her laugh was like a light breeze on a warm summer day, or the shade under a tree in the park where you could sit and watch the world. I felt myself falling for her, and she had only said 6 words. So this is what it was like to meet your soulmate. I finally understood how mom had felt. As she laughed, I felt myself smiling and relaxing. After a few seconds, I joined her laughter.

"I always knew something was different about me. I knew something would be different about my soulmate." I smiled at her. I stood up and she smiled back at me. I grabbed her hand and led her out of the cafe. "Let me show you where I grew up." She nodded and I led her deep into the rows of books. I could see the wonder in her eyes. It was so beautiful. Suddenly, the 20 years seemed worth the wait. She looked at me.

"I've only been in this town for about 2 months. I'm glad I moved here on an impulse. I've finally met my soulmate. I just never imagined they'd be a girl. But I'm glad I met you." She sounded so sincere. How was I lucky enough to end up with someone as wonderful as her? At that moment, I didn't care. I was happy, and that was all that would ever matter.

A.N.: Hey guys! I decided to take a break from my other story, 'I'm Trying'. I don't do that often, but nothing is coming for me there. And this is just taking a prompt and running with it, so it's a tad bit easier. I'm sorry to those of you who are really digging that story, but my brain just doesn't want to cooperate in that area. Anyway, like the story description says, feel free to shoot me A.U. ideas! Most of these will come from Tumblr, and I take absolutely no credit for the original topic! I love you all!