her story starts to go downhill

Alice laid back in her chair at her desk. Her nana had come to stay the night because of the recent activity with police, and she was worried about Alice.

It wasn't that bog of a deal, Alice thought, her dad went out for long nights all the time. But, her nana had insisted on staying and making sure Alice was okay. Alice sighed, and closed the laptop to think, and her mind drifted from work. Why would nana stay tonight of all nights? Maybe she was just being a worry wuss or something, she had stayed before and quite often her dad came home a-okay.

Alice stood and paced around her bedroom, thinking about school, and the boy who was staring at her during class- he was cute as heck - but then she heard her nana call her to the kitchen. She ran out and slid on the floor with her socks, almost falling.

"Calm down there blossom, heheh." Nan said, giggling. "I made us some lasagne so dig in. I've been watching the news, so if i hear anything about your dad then i'll get you, okay?"

"Okay Nana, thanks." Alice said, smiling softly. Her nan nodded, then took her plate to the table.

After dinner Alice returned to her room to make notes for her math test, but not long after retreating to her cosy blanket burrito her nan called her name.

"Alice dearie, get out here, look at this!"

Alice walked to the room where the TV was and saw her nan looking ghost pale at the TV.

"it's... it's, he.." She dropped her remote and buried her head in her hands, while Alice ran to comfort her. "Nan, what happened?"

"I think, your father might've... been," Nan gulped," Might've been shot. I think the man was armed."

Alice's jaw dropped.