her story reaches the bottom of the hill.

"What?"

Alice stared at the TV in disbelief as the headline flowed across the bottom of the screen. Two police officers shot dead, others injured by the man taking hostages, concluded that he is under the influence." She can't believe what she's reading and hearing. Alice slumped to the floor in silence, trying to take in what was happening. Her nana broke out into tears. Alice just sat thereon the floor by the armchair, curling up into the fetal position. Some tears ran down her face and before she knew it she was shaking and sobbing and breathing heavily and rapidly.

The two of them sat there for a while, before Alice calmed down then decided to go to bed early. Her nan called her grandad and left the apartment.

The next day Alice woke up to her alarm. Time to get ready for school. She sighed and pulled on her blue skirt and grey shirt uniform. Then she tied her hair into pigtails with skeleton clips (which were quite fitting actually. Too soon?) and went to make her breakfast. She ate it slowly and in silence, leaving her phone sitting next to her, not touching it.

Then as she went to put her bowl in the sink she got a call. Alice placed her bowl and spoon on the bench top and walked back around to her phone.

Auntie Sam is calling.