Chapter Eleven

I was flying down the state highway, the high temperature rising in waves off the blacktop pavement. I was grinding my teeth, shaking my head, "of all the days..."

I let out a furious breath, glimpsed at my briefcase and back up on the highway. I put on my brakes as the compound gate slowly rose out of the soupy heat.

The speedometer was decelerating from 100 to 30 to 10. I was about to break when the gate suddenly opened and the guards motioned me inside the camp.

"What the..."

The first time, I was inspected thoroughly. I even expected a body cavity search but thank god it didn't happened. It did worrying me a little about taking in the meat and blood.

I pulled into the same parking place. It was right outside the door of the building. Today something was off; I could feel it, a tremor. I searched around my car, placing my palm on the dash.

"Earthquake..." I creased my brow as I felt a slight vibration. "in the middle of Texas?" I shook my head, blowing out a breath.

I glanced up seeing the pained look on the faces of two guards that were passing by the automobile. I caught my breath, realizing to myself, "no way..."

The dust and tiny pebbles were jumping along the surface of the blacktop parking lot. And it was only growing stronger.

I heard a slamming noise and glanced up. Himagami came out the doorway, scowling at me.

"What the hell!?" She shouted, teeth flashing behind her moving lips, "do you realize what the fuck is going on?" She snarled, went around the car to the driver side.

I was stepping out of the car, looking up into the cloudless blue sky, the sun beating down on me. The heat sucking my breath, standing behind the door holding both cases.

"Earthquake..." I shrugged my shoulders, dropping my chin to look. "It should pass"

"We could only fucking hope for one." She reached out snatching my arm. My face grimaced as i felt the power in her grip.

"sorry. "She said through tighten lips.

"This is Tessa." She stared at me. I looked at her, seeing the mix of fear and admiration in her eyes, "you mean..."

"She is pissed." She took a heavy breath, shaking her head, "because you are fucking late..." She let out her breath and took me to the entrance. I stammered as she pulled me behind her, "ttthere was an accident on the highway access ramp. I couldn't..." I shook my head, "it's not like I could track down a pay phone..."

The car door slammed behind me.

"Accident..." Himagami suddenly swung her head, looking over her shoulder and I could make out in her eyes she's praying that was true.

"They rerouted traffic and that screwed things up..."

She spun back facing the elevator door, shaking her head. She reached out pushing the button and the elevator door opened. The trembling was strong now becoming stronger.

"Is she?"

"William, she is growling right now..." She stared at me from the edge of her eye as she stood near to the door, "inside... Hurry please..."

I entered the elevator and she followed behind me pushing the 50th floor button.

"Growling..."

"Yes, it's quite intimidating, to tell you the truth, I have never heard of one like this. I know full well she is a queen..."

"A queen?" I whispered, dropping my head leaning close as she talked, "it will only become louder..."

"Can't they tell her I'm here?"