Chapter 45

Himagami and Prof. Davies continued exploring the world for the next 10 years, spending their winters in Maine. The professor died in 1989. She told me that they had been out shoveling snow. She was, he was watching from the porch. She knew it was going to happen. She could hear it, the sound of his heart struggling. They went inside, undress, and wrapped themselves in blankets, lying next to the warm fire. A few drinks of Jim bean blue label over ice, she lay in his arms, listening to his heart slow. She kissed him one last time then felt his breath slowly fade. She says she's past it now but every time she talks of him, her eyes become wet.

Stephanie and our daughters moved to Norway. We traveled along the mountains visiting shewolf villages, listening and writing down their oral history. Tessa often visited, much to the dismay of Stephanie. Tessa couldn't help but take a few bites of me. Since I am considered her companion, she thinks it ok. I've never asked why, she bites, considering she is not a real vampire. Then Himagami's words about sex hit me and all I could do is smile.

Tessa is not one to stay in one place for long. She was with us in Texas for about a year, year and a half then traveled to Europe. Visiting numerous villages that existed deep within the mountains, raising all sorts of trouble. I wouldn't hear from her for a while. But Tessa being Tessa, always up for a challenge finally got one.

The rise of three powerful vampires leading an army of 300,000 elite military trained vampires appeared on the Mongolian grasslands. She would meet them with an army of 500 shewolves and 1000 of her daughters. They would defeat the Army but Tessa would fall, drained of energy, despite her groggy objections, she was taken to the island of Sakura located south of Japan. It was an island she had settled centuries ago before the Japanese people built their society, with a little help from her, of course.

Over the years, my daughter would find and marry. Thanks to the guidance of their aunt Freyja. Clarissa married a man and gave birth to two children, one girl, and one boy. The daughters name, Angelia and the boy's name, Ronan. Yes, I grinned when I read the letter announcing the birth of our grandchildren. Clarissa and her husband joined the anti-vampire movement of Texas, working with Madeleine. They traveled to Japan taking Ronan, leaving their daughter behind in Texas. They were killed by vampires in a botched raid. Ronan became the adopted son of Japanese industrialists, Megumi Watanabe. She's the most powerful person in japan, doing much of her business in the shadows and in the company of vampires. I visited Sakura Island, shortly after their deaths to speak with Ms. Watanabe. Clarissa and she had become close friends over the three years. She refused to give him up, "Clarissa gave him to me." she spoke and quickly handed me a bloodstained note and adoption papers. I never meet my grandson on that day. I watched him from a distance from the expansive patio of the mansion.

An eight-year-old boy surrounded by day walking vampires and shewolves. I did my best not to smile when they told me about the vampire goddess that slept on the island. Mochizuki was her name. She was called the mother of dragons, three sets of fangs and despite her ferocity, she was considered very kind.

When I left the island to go back home, sitting alone on the private plane supplied by Ms. Watanabe, "What are the odds they finally meet?" I watched the island disappearing from my airplane window, "Tessa and Ronan..."