4

The city is quiet,

Most of the time.

I like sitting in the middle of town, on the chair for the chessboard next to the fountain. I often times just read while I sit there, wondering if someone would play me. I could tell that today, as usual, no one will play me.

I could hear a noise coming from across the city. I cannot tell where, nor do I really care enough. It sounds like a Geiger counter, one used to find a corrupted piece of the city. As I read my book, I see white cracks start appearing on the light grey stone. I stand up, and step away slowly from it. It was wise of me to do so, because the instant after that, the city snapped into two, and pieces began to break off from all directions. The white cracks began to spread throughout the entire city. A figure of albumen stepped onto the land mass, and began to walk towards a man.

He reached out and touched the man.

The man shriveled up before exploding into a mixture of dust and sludge. The sludge was tar black, before shriveling up itself and turning into white chips, which flew in the wind. The dust and chips hurt my skin, and I frantically attempted to get away from it. Then my father appeared. The Geiger counter noise had gotten so loud at this point, I could barely hear my father speak.

"Let .... go!"

No response from the Albumen.

"..... worked so hard.................. some of them ...."

It was becoming increasingly harder to hear. My face burned and was raw.

Then I felt myself being lifted up. The Albumen began to lift me up by my throat.

I screamed but the noise was too loud.

My father screamed. He ran at the Albumen, and I felt myself drop.

 He ran at the Albumen, and I felt myself drop

I began to fall

And fall

And fall

And fall

The Albumen glowed and glowed.

My city was falling.

But I did not care.

I watched as the flock of others flew away,

And I just fell.

And fell.