CHAPTER 7

I don't know how long I stayed under my blankets, but I must have dozed off at some point. When I woke up still drowsy from my sleep, I heard a sweet voice. The voice was singing, though I couldn't decipher what it was singing.

Such a sweet voice. It was full of calmness. If voices could glow, I imagined that this voice would. It could only belong to the angels. The voice was so angelic, so pure, so bright and full, so mesmerising. I had to know who it belonged to. I Have to beg them to sing more, to coat my ears with that beautiful sound.

Before my mind could decide, my body was moving towards that ethereal sound. My feet moving, one in front of the other, propelling my body, begging my mind to find the source of such beauty. I felt like I was floating on a cloud as the voice got clearer and clearer with each step I took. My fingers gripped and twisted the locked door handle, giving me access to my grandmother's room. I could hear the words of the song now. Clear as daylight.

                                                                      There once was a girl,

                                                                          pretty as a petal,

                                                             her eyes were the colour of earth,

                                                                      there once was a girl,

                                                                        innocent as a rose,

                                                                stolen from the lands below.

The words the voice sang floated into my ears. The song was a story I realised. I wanted the voice to keep singing, I wanted to know about this girl who was pretty as a petal. I wanted to know why she was stolen from this so called land below.

As if the voice could sense my thoughts, It launched into the next verse. The voice was calling to me, and so my feet obeyed as I walked towards the steps that were now visible through my grandmother's mirror.

                                                                           This girl that once lived,

                                                                               was full of deceit,

                                                                   she destroyed the lands below,

                                                                          This girl that once lived,

                                                                            Will cease to exist,

                                                                          As I will claim her soul.

I wanted to know more, I wanted to know how the story ends. I felt like I was in a daze, cocooned by this angelic voice. The voice was fading.

No, I want to hear more. I want to know more about this girl who's eyes were the colour of earth. My mind was frantic, it was craving the voice like it was some kind of drug. I had to follow the voice. I had to know who it belonged to. In my frantic state, I climbed over the fire place and stepped through the rippling mirror towards the dimly lit stone stairs.