CHAPTER 10

The sounds of crickets and the fluttering fireflies were like a lullaby. Quins quiet snores were a steady rhythm to the dance of the firefly wings. I rolled to face the now extinguished fire. Some pieces of wood still glowing a dull orange, ready to wink out at any moment. It has been maybe a minute since I heard Khillians shuffle of shoes as he walked to who knows where.

If I had to leave, now was a perfect time. We didn't walk that far to get there, which means that I'll be able to find my way back home. I prayed to whatever god is listening that the stairs would still be there. I listened for another second. There were no sounds of leaves crunching under boots. I could still here Quins soft snores. I slowly got up trying my best to be as soundless as possible. With my socks back on I left our campsite, making sure to only step on the mossy ground and not fallen leaves.

The tree tops of the forest blocked all of the moonlight making it impossible to see. I had to rely on my ears to alert me of any danger. I kept walking in the direction I thought we came from, feeling the trees around me as I went. I had to pause for awhile when I heard the hoot of an owl, and wings of bats flying above me. When that disappeared, I kept walking. There was still no sign of stairs. Surely we didn't walk for this long before settling at the camp site. Then again a minute can feel like an eternity when you're lost.

All I could see was the dark silhouette of trees and the white puffs of my breath. My breaths were coming out faster and faster as I realised that this could be a very bad idea.

I heard the soft crunching of leaves but I was standing still. My heart stopped in its tracks. The clouds of breath now invisible as I stared into a pair of green glowing eyes and a sharp set of bone white teeth. Slowly, very slowly this thing was walking towards me. It's paws almost soundless if not for the soft crunch of leaves. Even the fireflies have stopped their fluttering as if they too were deciding whether to flee or to fight or to just freeze in place hoping that this animal will disappear. I should have taken one of Quins swords before I left camp. At least then I would have had a chance of going home in one piece.

The glowing eyes kept getting bigger and bigger as it came closer towards me. My heart must have kick started again and was hammering at full speed as if it could fly out of my rib cage to somewhere safer. My hands were slack besides me and clammy from fear.

The lean black body of a panther was making slow circles around me, assessing its prey. It could probably smell the fear on me. I felt so utterly helpless. If I ran how long would I last? If I stayed frozen, how long until someone heard my screams?

I didn't have time to decide as Quins warm breath brushed across my ear. "Don't move" I almost didn't hear him whisper.

Seconds is all it took. One second there was a massive fireball in Quin's hand as he stepped beside me, the next second the fireball was flying out of his hand, and the next second the panther was on fire. I could only hear the yowls of pain escaping the Panthers mouth as Quin grabbed my arm and ran. I tried not to stumble as we ran and ran and ran until we were back at the campsite.