Chapter Twelve: The Grey Area

Jade looked up at the greying sky as she lied on the still-green grass on the lawn in the Quad.  It was frigid outside, but she felt quite warm in this environment.  Or maybe she just felt at home.

The sky looked as if it was ready to cry and Jade simply hoped that the tears would be white and fluffy, not cold and liquid or, worse, cold and solid.  Clouds began to roll in and Jade knew a storm was brewing, one that would hopefully mean a snow day for the young elementary schoolers a few roads down and maybe even for the middle and high schoolers several roads in the other direction.  She'd still have school, but she never hoped for a snow day, simply for snow.

Yes, it was late November and technically there were still trees with colorful leaves on them because it was still autumn, but late November also meant almost December and everyone knows that December, January, and February are the months of snowball fights, ice skating, and freezing temperatures. A little snow wasn't that much to ask for.

Jade continued to stare dreamily into the sky, hoping for snow to hit her face before her next class began. She'd almost fallen asleep as a cool breeze whipped across her arms followed very soon after by the sound of her name.

Jade opened one eye to see a green and purple-haired girl staring down at her. "You're Jade, right?"

Jade sat up and nodded. "Yeah, I'm Jade."

"Jade Blossom?" the girl asked.

"Yeah. Can I help you? I have class in... fifteen minutes, but I can probably-"

"Oh, no. Actually, Headmaster Person wants to speak with you," she said with a large smile. Jade practically jumped up. The headmaster wanted to see her. Why? She hadn't really done anything worth mentioning... unless he wanted to talk about her abysmal performance in Powerless Fight 233. She could believe that.

Suddenly, her whole demeanor changed and she really didn't want to meet the headmaster anymore. "Ok," she sighed. "Lead the way."

The green and purple-haired girl gave Jade's reaction an odd look, but she turned around and led the way toward the headmaster's office nonetheless.

The first thing Jade noticed upon arrival was that Quinn was waiting outside of the headmaster's office as well. He sat in one of the waiting chairs along the wall as he read a book titled "Living Among Us: Not all Superhumans are Superheroes."

"Please, wait here while I tell the headmaster you're here," the green and purple-haired girl said. Jade sat down, realizing for the first time that she'd neglected to get the girl's name.

"You're here too?" Jade asked Quinn. Quinn looked up from his book and smiled.

"Small world," he laughed. "I guess the headmaster wants to see us both?"

"I guess so," Jade said, relaxing a bit. There was no way she was in trouble if Quinn was there too. Then again, the headmaster might want Quinn to tutor her. After all, he must be decent in powerless fighting since he had no powers.

After a minute or two, the green and purple-haired girl came back out and told them that the headmaster was ready for them.

"Thank you," Jade said with a smile. "I... didn't get your name."

"Oh, it's Lila. Sorry, I'm used to kind of getting lost in the background so I barely ever introduce myself." Lila smiled and then sat down at her desk. Jade couldn't very well believe she got lost in the background with that hair, but she also couldn't count it out.

Quinn and Jade entered the headmaster's office, closing the door behind them. "Please, sit," the headmaster said when he saw them. They both took seats in the two closest free chairs in the room.