The Cannibal on Elmwood Street

"Oh, here she comes. She's a man eater."- Hall and Oats 

Wednesday, June 25th, 1979

Dear diary,

Today, I found a rotting corpse in my backyard. At least, I made the police think I just "found" it there. They questioned me for a while but I kept my story straight. That was REALLY hard.

They asked me stuff like: "Did you know her?" I told them that I knew her, but not very well at all. This was a lie. I knew her and she was really REALLY annoying. Her name is Annie Kurrinsk and she was in my art class. I didn't tell them that I used her blood for a recent art project. Hey, it's not MY fault that Ms. Jones decided she wanted to give out homework. Plus, I didn't have any red for the painting. It's a sunset at a park, by the way. I gave it to daddy for father's day. He said he loved it, but it smells kind of funny so he hung it up in my little bedroom.

"Do you know why she's missing a leg?" I said I didn't, which was a HUGE lie. It's missing because I cut it off. I used the meat for dinner on roast night. Everyone thought it was delicious, even though I wouldn't tell anyone what it was. They just assumed it was a pork roast. Grandma asked when I was going to be making another one and asked for the leftovers since Grandpa was on a hunting trip and couldn't make it to dinner.

"When exactly did you see her here?" I told them it was right before I called 911. Also a big fat lie. Geez, it's a wonder my pants didn't catch on fire. The thing had been there for like, a REALLY long time. I only decided to call the police because it started to smell, like, SO BAD.

"Who was with you when you spotted her body?" I told them it was just me. They looked at each other and decided to take me in for questioning. They said I wasn't under arrest; they just wanted to talk to me. I was all like "But we're already doing that." And they were like "We know, but we have more questions." I got scared. I hoped they couldn't tell I was sweating.

I asked if I could grab you from my room and an officer came with me. The other stayed in the yard and talked with my father, about what, I have no idea. Mommy was in the living room with my big brother Joey and my little sister Tammy. The officer and I went up the stairs to my room, talked about the things in my room (she complemented the painting), and we went to the squad car.

I'm currently in the back of said squad car, which is where I wrote most of this down. Its noon. I'll keep you updated on what goes down.

It's 12:15. We just got to the station. The policewoman talked to me the whole way there. Towards the middle of our conversation, we talked about the painting I made. She asked why it smelled funny. I told her it was spoiled milk. I said I had accidentally mixed my watercolors with milk in a sleepless haze. I said that I had stayed up REALLY late the night before. The policewoman laughed and she changed the subject quickly, looking uncomfortable.

It's 1:00. I just got a minute alone. I'm in their interrogation room. Sorry, someone's coming back. Catch up soon.

It's 2:00. This interrogation is NEVER GOING TO END. It's been going on for so long, I think my butt went numb, but I don't want to get up and pace, because they might think I'm crazy.

It's 2:30. The policewoman came in and asked to read you. I looked at her appalled. No, I said, you were private. I told her not even I read you when I'm done with an entry. That was that. I wiped my hands of her and stopped talking, turning my head away from her.

It's 3:00. Someone else came in and started questioning me. This one proves to be a bit trickier.

It's 4:30. They started yelling at me. I cried so they'd go away. They said they were going to get some stupid piece of paper that says they're allowed to take you from me. I won't let them do it! I'll rip it up in front of their faces!

But just in case something happens to you, I'm ending this entry here. If we both come out of this all peachy, I'll write in you again.

Love,

Katie Jones

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Woo! Another one is up! I'm being so ruff on this keyboard today! As always, I'd love so much to hear from you all. You guys are amazing for taking the time to read this story!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<(")

♡♡♡♡♡♡☆☆☆♡♡♡♡♡♡

~Happy Reading~