Guilt

Jacob shut the door behind him with more force than necessary, which made everyone look at him including Connie. He kept his head staring at the ground and started to walk, fast.

Connie watched him as he stormed out of the ED with his fist clenched next to his sides. She put down her files and didn't hesitate to follow him, something wasn't right.

Jacob had walked so fast out of the hospital that by the time Connie was outside she couldn't see him. She walked around the corner  to where Jacob proposed to her 7 years ago and that's where he was. Leant against the wall, taking deep breaths whilst staring at his shoes.

"Jacob?" Connie folded her arms and walked towards him. He couldn't look at her, so he continued to stare at the mud on the ground. "Jacob, what's wrong?"

This was it. The perfect opportunity. "Your going to hate me if I tell you Con." She frowned at this, quickly thinking of all of the things that could cause her to hate him. He finally lifted his head to look at her, but not directly at her face. Jacob knew that if he looked into the innocence of her eyes then he would crack and the words just wouldn't come out.

"Why would you say that? I know you'd never do anything to cause me to hate you Jacob." She picked up his hand and held it in hers. "Please, tell me what's going on."

He took a shaky breath. "Ok... 6 years ago, when you and Grace were in the crash. I... I want you to know that I hate myself for what I did and if I had one wish then I would take that back-"

"What Jacob? What did you do?" She frowned, anxious now.

"I slept with someone else." As soon as he said it Connie dropped his hand. Tears threatened to spill, but she refused to let them fall.

She physically couldn't believe what she was hearing. "You-you did what! I was grieving and you go and have sex with another woman! How could you Jacob?!" Jacob went back to staring at his shoes which infuriated Connie even more. "You can't even look at me can you? All of these years have passed and now you tell me. Jacob Masters, yesterday there would've been a lot of things I would describe you as, but a coward was never one. Now your the biggest coward that I know. You were right, I do hate you." With that she turned on her heel and quickly wiped away a few stray tears on her cheeks.

Jacob allowed his tears to fall, as he watched her walk away. She'd reacted worse than he'd expected and that wasn't even all of it.