6

After that, we had a big feud, where she threw arguments at me about how I never once said a nice word to her and how I judge people by their friends and how they look. I threw a few insults about how she doesn't really care about anyone, back at her. After a few minutes she made me go home. She accompanied me to the back door, but didn't even say 'goodbye'.

She slammed the door behind me and I heard a groan. I looked at my watch and my jaw dropped. I told my father I'll go study in the library, but the library had closed an hour and a half ago and our home was just 20 minutes away. I ran home as fast as I could and by the time I reached it, another 15 minutes passed.

"Where have you been?" my dad asked as soon as I stepped into our house. I managed to form a story that wasn't unbelievable and had cooperated with my terrible lying skills.

"I was, uhm, doing my project," I told him.

"Yeah right," he said rolling his eyes. "Library is long closed, I checked," he said proudly.

"Yeah well, projects aren't only reading you know. I have to examine stuff too," I said. Huh. And i thought I couldn't lie under pressure!

"Uh-huh. Like what?"

"Slugs?" I shot out, without even thinking. Okay so I can't lie under pressure, but I wasn't doing so bad!

"Your project is about slugs?" my father didn't believe it at all.

"Yeah well Mrs. Rattenschitten is crazy," I said.

"There aren't many slugs around here," my dad said.

"I know right? That's why I'll have to go out every day to find some," I told him.

"You're very determined to nail this, I'm proud of you son," he said petting my head and I sighed with relief(?). "Besides this project sounds interesting, I'd like to see the finished piece," he added and I completely froze.

"Fine, but you'll have to wait for this semester to end, maybe even the next one," I said, shrugging and praying that he'll forget about it.

So this was my excuse. I went to Emma's everyday for a week and the project was getting better and our friendship or however I could call this, was getting better. We got more relaxed around each other, even started joking.

But it all changed one day. It was Friday. I stopped by at 7pm as usual and got in without Olive's help. Emma was waiting for me in the office and that day we even stayed there, because Enoch had taken over lab, and library was too risky.

About two hours into the work though, the doors burst open and olive flew in, followed by Fiona and Hugh, all three of them catching their breath.

"What's going on?" asked Emma, glancing at me.

"It's Julia," Olive said, her voice shaking visibly.

Emma stood up almost immediately. "What happened?" Her voice was strong and harsh, almost unrecognizable, since she always spoke with soft and kind tone.

"She's dead."